FIRST REGULAR SESSION
HOUSE BILL NO. 242
92ND GENERAL ASSEMBLY
INTRODUCED BY REPRESENTATIVES BARNITZ, JETTON, KUESSNER, HAMPTON,
RANSDALL (Co-sponsors), WILDBERGER, MYERS, JAEGER, SKAGGS,
WHORTON AND WILSON (119).
Read 1st time January 22, 2003, and copies ordered printed.
STEPHEN S. DAVIS, Chief Clerk
To amend chapter 577, RSMo, by adding thereto one new section relating to public safety
offenses, with a penalty provision.
Be it enacted by the General Assembly of the state of Missouri, as follows:
Section A. Chapter 577, RSMo, is amended by adding thereto one new section, to be
known as section 577.635, to read as follows:
577.635. 1. No person shall possess or use glass food or beverage containers within
fifty feet of the banks of any navigable waterway in the state of Missouri, except in
designated camps or picnic sites, or in vehicles on designated roads and parking areas. The
following persons shall be exempt from the provisions of this section:
(1) Persons with a permit specifically authorizing the possession or use of glass food
or beverage containers;
(2) Any federal, state or local officer, or member of an organized rescue or fire
fighting force in the performance of their official duties; and
(3) Persons on private lands within fifty feet of the banks of a navigable waterway.
2. Beginning January 1, 2004, through December 31, 2004, any person violating the
provisions of this section shall be issued a warning. On or after January 1, 2005, any
person violating the provisions of this section shall be fined in an amount not to exceed five
3. As used in this section "navigable waterway" shall mean any navigable river,
lake, or other body of water used, or susceptible to being used in its natural condition by
canoe, kayak, innertube, or other vessel easily susceptible to swamping, tipping, or rolling,
located wholly or partly within this state.
4. The provisions of this section shall become effective January 1, 2004.