FIRST REGULAR SESSION
HOUSE BILL NO. 95
94TH GENERAL ASSEMBLY
INTRODUCED BY REPRESENTATIVES SATER (Sponsor), SCHARNHORST, WETER, MEADOWS, DUSENBERG, SWINGER, ERVIN, WRIGHT-JONES, FAITH AND SANDER (Co-sponsor).
Pre-filed December 7, 2006 and copies ordered printed.
D. ADAM CRUMBLISS, Chief Clerk
To amend chapter 208, RSMo, by adding thereto one new section relating to a health insurance premium assistance program.
Be it enacted by the General Assembly of the state of Missouri, as follows:
Section A. Chapter 208, RSMo, is amended by adding thereto one new section, to be known as section 208.735, to read as follows:
208.735. 1. Recognizing that many Missourians do not have health care benefits or health care coverage, that many small businesses cannot afford to provide health care benefits to their employees, and that, under federal law, barriers exist to providing Medicaid benefits to the uninsured, the Missouri legislature hereby establishes provisions to lower the number of uninsured, assist businesses in their ability to afford health care benefits and coverage for their employees, and eliminate barriers to providing health coverage to eligible enrollees under federal law.
2. The family support division shall apply for a waiver or waivers to the Centers for Medicaid and Medicare Services (CMS) to accomplish the purpose outlined in subsection 1 of this section. The division shall negotiate with CMS to include in such waiver authority provisions to:
(1) Increase access to health care in Missouri;
(2) Reform the Missouri Medicaid program to promote personal responsibility for health care services and appropriate utilization of health care benefits through the use of public-private cost sharing;
(3) Enable small employers and employed uninsured adults with or without children to purchase employer-sponsored state-approved private or state-sponsored health care coverage through a state premium assistance payment plan; and
(4) Develop flexible health care benefit packages based upon patient need and cost.
3. The division may phase in any waiver or waivers it receives based upon available funding.
4. The division is authorized to develop and implement a pilot premium assistance plan to assist small businesses and their eligible employees to purchase employer-sponsored insurance or buy in to a state-sponsored benefit plan.
5. (1) There is hereby created in the state treasury the "Health Employee and Economy Improvement Revolving Fund", which shall consist of money received pursuant to this section. The state treasurer shall be custodian of the fund and shall disburse moneys from the fund in accordance with sections 30.170 and 30.180, RSMo. Upon appropriation, money in the fund shall be used solely for the administration of this section.
(2) Notwithstanding the provisions of section 33.080, RSMo, to the contrary, any moneys remaining in the fund at the end of the biennium shall not revert to the credit of the general revenue fund.
(3) The state treasurer shall invest moneys in the fund in the same manner as other funds are invested. Any interest and moneys earned on such investments shall be credited to the fund.
6. Pursuant to section 23.253, RSMo, of the Missouri Sunset Act:
(1) The provisions of the new program authorized under this section shall automatically sunset six years after the effective date of this section unless reauthorized by an act of the general assembly; and
(2) If such program is reauthorized, the program authorized under this section shall automatically sunset twelve years after the effective date of the reauthorization of this section; and
(3) This section shall terminate on September first of the calendar year immediately following the calendar year in which the program authorized under this section is sunset.