FIRST REGULAR SESSION
HOUSE BILL NO. 665
92ND GENERAL ASSEMBLY
INTRODUCED BY REPRESENTATIVES RUPP, CUNNINGHAM (86), BRUNS, SCHNEIDER,
BEARDEN (Co-sponsors), DAVIS (19), DEMPSEY, NIEVES, AVERY, HOBBS AND THRELKELD.
Read 1st time March 12, 2003, and copies ordered printed.
STEPHEN S. DAVIS, Chief Clerk
To repeal section 173.215, RSMo, and to enact in lieu thereof one new section relating to
applicants for higher education financial assistance.
Be it enacted by the General Assembly of the state of Missouri, as follows:
Section A. Section 173.215, RSMo, is repealed and one new section enacted in lieu
thereof, to be known as section 173.215, to read as follows:
173.215. 1. An applicant shall be eligible for initial or renewed financial assistance only
if, at the time of his application and throughout the period during which he is receiving such
(1) Is a citizen or a permanent resident of the United States;
(2) Is a resident of the state of Missouri, as determined by reference to standards
promulgated by the coordinating board;
(3) Is enrolled, or has been accepted for enrollment, as a full-time undergraduate student
in an approved private or public institution;
(4) Establishes that he has financial need;
(5) Has never been convicted in any court of an offense which involved the use of force,
disruption or seizure of property under the control of any institution of higher education to
prevent officials or students in such institutions from engaging in their duties or pursuing their
(6) No award shall be made under sections 173.200 to 173.230 to any applicant who is
enrolled, or who intends to use the award to enroll, in a course of study leading to a degree in
theology or divinity. The provisions of this subdivision shall not apply to the Missouri
college guarantee program established in sections 173.810 to 173.830.
2. Financial assistance shall be allotted for one academic year, but a recipient shall be
eligible for renewed assistance until he has obtained a baccalaureate degree, provided such
financial assistance shall not exceed a total of ten semesters or fifteen quarters or their
equivalent. Standards of eligibility for renewed assistance shall be the same as for an initial
award of financial assistance.