FIRST REGULAR SESSION
HOUSE BILL NO. 457
93RD GENERAL ASSEMBLY
INTRODUCED BY REPRESENTATIVES LEMBKE (Sponsor), PORTWOOD, HARRIS (110),
WRIGHT (137), MEADOWS, DAVIS, BRINGER, GOODMAN, NIEVES, COOPER (155), EMERY,
DIXON, ERVIN, RUPP, PHILLIPS, MOORE, BROWN (30), DUSENBERG, COOPER (158), SANDER,
LOEHNER, CUNNINGHAM (86), MYERS, ROARK, MUSCHANY, SCHAD, STEVENSON, BIVINS,
BAKER (123), SELBY, WOOD, PARKER, KRATKY, DAY, WILSON (119), CUNNINGHAM (145), LIESE,
YAEGER, BEAN, BLACK, MUNZLINGER, DEEKEN, GUEST, NANCE, RECTOR, WILSON (130),
WAGNER, WELLS, VIEBROCK, HENKE, FISHER, ICET, SWINGER, BRUNS, POLLOCK, MEINERS,
SCHOEMEHL, McGHEE, LIPKE, GEORGE, WASSON, DOUGHERTY, PRATT, BARNITZ, TILLEY,
CASEY, DENISON, RUESTMAN, YATES, SATER, KUESSNER, SELF, WRIGHT (159), KRAUS,
MARSH, SCHLOTTACH, SMITH (118), DETHROW, JONES AND MEINERS (Co-sponsors).
Read 1st time February 3, 2005 and copies ordered printed.
STEPHEN S. DAVIS, Chief Clerk
To amend chapter 565, RSMo, by adding thereto one new section relating to human cloning, with penalty provisions.
Be it enacted by the General Assembly of the state of Missouri, as follows:
Section A. Chapter 565, RSMo, is amended by adding thereto one new section, to be known as section 565.305, to read as follows:
565.305. 1. As used in this section, the following words and phrases shall mean:
(1) "Clone a human being" or "cloning a human being", the creation of a human being by any means other than by the fertilization of an oocyte of a human female by a sperm of a human male;
(2) "Cloned human being", an individual created by human cloning;
(3) "Public employee", any person employed by the state of Missouri or any agency or political subdivision thereof;
(4) "Public facilities", any public institution, public facility, public equipment, or any physical asset owned, leased, or controlled by the state of Missouri or any agency or political subdivision thereof;
(5) "Public funds", any funds received or controlled by the state of Missouri or any agency or political subdivision thereof, including, but not limited to, funds derived from federal, state, or local taxes, gifts or grants from any source, public or private, federal grants or payments, or
2. No person shall knowingly clone a human being, participate in cloning a human being, or attempt to clone a human being.
3. No person shall knowingly use public funds to clone a human being or to attempt to clone a human being.
4. No person shall knowingly use public facilities to clone a human being or to attempt to clone a human being.
5. No public employee shall knowingly allow any person to clone a human being or to attempt to clone a human being while the person is making use of public funds or public facilities.
6. Any person who violates any of the provisions of subsections 2 to 5 of this section is guilty of a class B felony.
7. The laws of this state shall be interpreted and construed to acknowledge on behalf of a cloned human being at every stage of development, all the rights, privileges, and immunities available to other persons, citizens, and residents of this state, subject only to the Constitution of the United States and decisional interpretations thereof by the United States Supreme Court and specific provisions to the contrary in the statutes and constitution of this state.