FIRST REGULAR SESSION
HOUSE BILL NO. 485
95TH GENERAL ASSEMBLY
INTRODUCED BY REPRESENTATIVES WRIGHT (Sponsor), KINGERY, BRANDOM, TODD, HODGES AND SWINGER (Co-sponsors).
1457L.01I D. ADAM CRUMBLISS, Chief Clerk
To repeal section 44.227, RSMo, and to enact in lieu thereof one new section relating to the seismic safety commission.
Be it enacted by the General Assembly of the state of Missouri, as follows:
Section A. Section 44.227, RSMo, is repealed and one new section enacted in lieu thereof, to be known as section 44.227, to read as follows:
44.227. 1. There is hereby created a "Seismic Safety Commission", which shall be domiciled in the department of public safety.
2. The commission shall consist of seventeen members, one who shall be a member of the senate appointed by the president pro tem of the senate, one who shall be a member of the house of representatives appointed by the speaker of the house of representatives, and fifteen members appointed by the governor, with the advice and consent of the senate, [one each] representing the following professional areas: architecture, planning, fire protection, public utilities, electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, structural engineering, soils engineering, geology, seismology, local government, insurance, business, the American Red Cross, public education and emergency management.
3. Commission members shall elect annually from its membership a chairman and vice chairman. A quorum shall consist of [nine] a majority of appointed members and may be met by electronic attendance and nonvoting participation of the staff of the legislative members of the commission. All commission members shall be residents of the state of Missouri and shall have reasonable knowledge of issues relating to earthquakes.
4. The term of office for each member of the commission appointed by the governor shall be four years, except that of the initial appointments, seven members shall be appointed for a term of two years and eight members shall be appointed for a term of four years. Any member may be removed from office by the governor without cause. Before the expiration of the term of a member appointed by the governor, the governor shall appoint a successor whose term begins on July first next following. A member is eligible for reappointment. If there is a vacancy for any cause, the governor shall make an appointment to become effective immediately for the unexpired term.
5. Each member of the commission shall serve without compensation but shall receive fifty dollars for each day devoted to the affairs of the commission, plus actual and necessary expenses incurred in the discharge of his official duties.
6. The office of emergency management in the department of public safety shall provide to the commission all technical, clerical and other necessary support services.