SECOND REGULAR SESSION
HOUSE BILL NO. 1596
96TH GENERAL ASSEMBLY
INTRODUCED BY REPRESENTATIVES LAMPE (Sponsor), SILVEY, HUMMEL, NICHOLS, ATKINS, HIGDON, SHIVELY, ASBURY, ELLINGER, McNEIL, BARNES, STREAM, BRATTIN AND FRANKLIN (Co-sponsors).
5006L.01I D. ADAM CRUMBLISS, Chief Clerk
To amend chapter 161, RSMo, by adding thereto one new section relating to educational programs for gifted and talented children.
Be it enacted by the General Assembly of the state of Missouri, as follows:
Section A. Chapter 161, RSMo, is amended by adding thereto one new section, to be known as section 161.248, to read as follows:
161.248. 1. The state board of education shall designate a staff person who is in charge of educational programs for gifted and talented children. This staff person shall, at a minimum:
(1) Be responsible for developing an approval process for educational programs for gifted and talented children by no later than September 1, 2013;
(2) Receive and maintain the written descriptions of all programs for gifted and talented children in the state;
(3) Collect and maintain the annual growth in learning data submitted by a school, school district, or cooperative of school districts;
(4) Identify potential funding sources for the education of gifted and talented children; and
(5) Serve as the main contact person at the state board of education for program supervisors and other school officials, parents, and other stakeholders regarding the education of gifted and talented children.
2. The state board of education may perform a variety of additional administrative functions with respect to the education of gifted and talented children, including, but not limited to, supervision, quality assurance, compliance monitoring, and oversight of local programs; analysis of performance outcome data submitted by local educational agencies, the establishment of personnel standards, and a program of personnel development for teachers and administrative personnel in the education of gifted and talented children.