HARTZLER (124) AND BOUCHER (Co-sponsors).
Read 1st time January 11, 2000, and 1000 copies ordered printed.
ANNE C. WALKER, Chief Clerk
To amend chapter 191, RSMo, relating to health and welfare by adding thereto two new sections relating to assistive technology.
Section A. Chapter 191, RSMo, is amended by adding thereto two new sections, to be known as sections 191.865 and 191.867, to read as follows:
191.865. 1. The Missouri assistive technology advisory council shall establish an assistive technology loan program that utilizes any appropriation and grant moneys received pursuant to subsection 2 of this section to provide loans for the purchase of assistive technology devices and services, as defined in section 191.850, RSMo.
2. After July 1, 2001, and upon appropriation and upon the state's receipt of any federal matching grant moneys pursuant to the federal Assistive Technology Act of 1998, the loan program shall provide loans for the first fiscal year following the receipt of any such appropriation and grant moneys. The state treasurer shall provide the assistive technology council with information on the amount of moneys in the fund at the beginning of each fiscal year. The council shall divide such moneys into four equal quarterly shares to ensure that the loan program will provide loans throughout the entire fiscal year. Any repayments or interest earned during a fiscal year shall not be used for loans in the current fiscal year, but shall be carried over for use in the next fiscal year.
3. The interest rates for loans shall be no-interest or low-interest as compared to commercial lending rates and shall be established by the council based on the borrower's ability to pay. Loan repayment periods shall not exceed ten years.
4. The council shall:
(1) Promulgate rules relating to borrower eligibility, interest rates, repayment terms and other matters necessary to implement the purpose of this section, including limits on the number and amounts of loans to assure the continued solvency of the fund; and
(2) File annual reports with the governor and general assembly which shall include an accounting of the loans and repayments to the fund during the preceding fiscal year.
5. The council may enter into contracts as necessary to carry out the purposes of this section, including but not limited to contracts with disability organizations and lending institutions.
6. By no later than January 1, 2001, the council shall submit a report to the general assembly regarding any rules proposed or promulgated for the implementation of this program.
7. No rule or portion of a rule promulgated pursuant to the authority of this section shall become effective unless it has been promulgated pursuant to chapter 536, RSMo.
191.867. 1. In order to allow Missourians with disabilities to take advantage of the federal Assistive Technology Act of 1998, there is hereby created in the state treasury the "Assistive Technology Loan Revolving Fund" which shall be administered by the Missouri assistive technology advisory council and the state treasurer.
2. Moneys in the fund shall, upon appropriation, be used to establish and maintain the assistive technology loan program established in section 191.865.
3. The fund shall consist of any moneys appropriated to the fund, repayments of principal and interest by qualified borrowers, and interest earned on the moneys in the fund.
4. The fund may accept federal, state and other public funds, public or private grants, contributions and loans to the fund with the approval of the Missouri assistive technology advisory council.
5. Notwithstanding the provisions of section 33.080, RSMo, to the contrary, moneys in the fund shall not revert to
the general revenue fund at the end of the biennium.