Read 1st time January 11, 2000, and 1000 copies ordered printed.
ANNE C. WALKER, Chief Clerk
To amend chapter 160, RSMo, relating to general provisions for schools, by adding thereto one new section relating to the Kansas City education renewal commission, with an emergency clause.
Section A. Chapter 160, RSMo, is amended by adding thereto one new section, to be known as section 160.640, to read as follows:
160.640. 1. There is hereby created the "Kansas City Education Renewal Commission". The commission shall consist of one house member appointed by the speaker of the house of representatives, one house member appointed by the minority floor leader of the house or representatives, one senate member appointed by the president pro tem of the senate, one senate member appointed by the minority floor leader of the senate, four parents of children who attend school in the Kansas City school district to be appointed by the mayor of Kansas City, one representative of the Kansas City business community to be appointed by the mayor of Kansas City, one teacher employed by the Kansas City school district to be appointed by the teacher's organization representing the greatest percentage of teachers within the district, one member of the Kansas City school board to be appointed by the school board and one representative of the department of elementary and secondary education to be appointed by the commissioner of education. The members shall not be compensated but shall receive their actual and necessary expenses for participation on the commission. The commission shall be funded through and supported by the department of elementary and secondary education. The commission shall be appointed within fourteen days of the effective date of this section.
2. The commission shall develop a plan to divide the Kansas City school district into a minimum of five new racially balanced districts and provide boundaries for such new districts. The plan shall be developed and implemented by September 1, 2000.
3. Upon implementation of the plan, the Kansas City school district shall continue to exist only for the purposes of assessing, collecting and distributing property taxes. The commission shall develop a plan and determine the distribution of such taxes equitably on a per pupil basis. The commission shall suggest a plan for using the new districts for tax purposes.
4. The commission may sponsor charter schools within the Kansas City school district.
5. The commission shall provide a transportation plan for the school districts.
6. Students in the Kansas City school district may attend any district created pursuant to this section.
Section B. Because immediate action is necessary to preserve the sound education of the children in the Kansas City
school district, section A of this act is deemed necessary for the immediate preservation of the public health, welfare,
peace and safety, and is hereby declared to be an emergency act within the meaning of the constitution, and section A of
this act shall be in full force and effect upon its passage and approval.