Read 1st time January 18, 2000, and 1000 copies ordered printed.
ANNE C. WALKER, Chief Clerk
To amend chapter 575, RSMo, relating to offenses against the administration of justice by adding thereto one new section relating to eluding a law enforcement official, with penalty provisions.
Section A. Chapter 575, RSMo, is amended by adding thereto one new section, to be known as section 575.155, to read as follows:
575.155. 1. A person commits the crime of eluding a law enforcement official if such person:
(1) Operates a motor vehicle after receiving a visual or audible signal, such as a red light or a siren, from a law enforcement official driving a motor vehicle, clearly marked as an official law enforcement vehicle, directing the person to bring the motor vehicle to a stop where such law enforcement official has probable cause to believe a crime has been committed; and
(2) Purposely increases the speed of the motor vehicle or extinguishes the lights of the motor vehicle for the purpose of eluding such law enforcement official; or
(3) Purposely attempts in any other manner to elude the law enforcement official; or
(4) Does elude such law enforcement official.
2. Eluding a law enforcement official is a class D felony.
3. Nothing in this section shall be construed to bar civil suits for unlawful arrest.
4. As used in this section, "law enforcement official" means anyone defined as a peace officer in section 590.100,