FIRST REGULAR SESSION
HOUSE BILL NO. 164
91ST GENERAL ASSEMBLY
INTRODUCED BY REPRESENTATIVE TROUPE.
Pre-filed December 18, 2000, and 1000 copies ordered printed.
ANNE C. WALKER, Chief Clerk
To amend chapter 168, RSMo, by adding thereto one new section relating to salary schedules for public school teachers.
Section A. Chapter 168, RSMo, is amended by adding thereto one new section, to be known as section 168.095, to read as follows:
168.095. 1. Beginning with the 2001-2002 school year, any teacher employed by a public school district for one year or more, unless the teacher's teaching contract has been terminated or the teacher has been dismissed by a school board for cause, shall be offered salary schedule credit for such years when accepting employment within another public school district in Missouri, according to the guidelines contained in subsection 3 of this section. If after termination of a teacher's contract or dismissal by a school board for cause the teacher subsequently acquires permanent teacher status in some public school district in Missouri, then on acceptance of employment within another public school district in Missouri the teacher shall receive salary schedule credit for the years during which the teacher's permanent status was earned and any years taught thereafter in a public school district in Missouri unless thereafter the teacher's contract is terminated, or the teacher is dismissed for cause.
2. As used in this section, the terms "termination of contract" and "dismissal" do not include the failure to reemploy a probationary teacher. The term "salary schedule credit" means placement on the district's salary schedule at the appropriate place based on the teacher's experience and education. Salary schedule credit does not require payment at any specific compensation level.
3. For all school years beginning with contracts offered for school year 2001-2002, teachers accepting employment in a public school district, other than the one which employed them the previous year, shall be offered salary schedule credit according to the following guidelines:
(1) For the school year 2001-2002 for each year of service up to five years;
(2) For the school year 2002-2003 for each year of service up to six years;
(3) For the school year 2003-2004 for each year of service up to seven years;
(4) For the school year 2004-2005 for each year of service up to eight years;
(5) For the school year 2005-2006 for each year of service up to nine years;
(6) For the school year 2006-2007 and each year thereafter for each year of service up to ten years.
4. Nothing in this section shall be construed to prohibit a school district from offering credit for service in excess of these guidelines.
5. If a court of competent jurisdiction finds after all appeals are exhausted that section 16 of article X of the
constitution of the state of Missouri applies to any provision of this section, then any necessary funds shall be
appropriated from the state lottery fund, or from general revenue as needed.