FIRST REGULAR SESSION
HOUSE BILL NO. 897
91ST GENERAL ASSEMBLY
INTRODUCED BY REPRESENTATIVES KREIDER, HANAWAY, LEVIN, KELLY (144),
BARTELSMEYER, FOLEY, HOLT (Co-sponsors), HUNTER, BURCHAM, McKENNA, WILSON,
LUETKENHAUS, DEMPSEY, CIERPIOT, RECTOR, PHILLIPS, SCOTT, ENZ, KELLEY (47),
CHAMPION, MARBLE, REINHART, ROBIRDS, BERKSTRESSER, HARTZLER, BARRY, ABEL,
COOPER, CUNNINGHAM, BEARDEN, BEHNEN, REID, HENDERSON, SHIELDS, HEGEMAN,
HOSMER, CARNAHAN, BARNETT, SANDERS BROOKS, COLEMAN, CRAWFORD, FORD,
GAMBARO, BOWMAN, GASKILL, MAY (149), GRAHAM, GRIESHEIMER, HOHULIN, JETTON,
KENNEDY, KING, LEGAN, MOORE, NAEGER, OSTMANN, PORTWOOD, SECREST, SHOEMYER,
TOWNLEY, SELBY, HAGAN-HARRELL, THOMPSON, HICKEY, KELLY (27), MARSH, PURGASON,
LINTON, SCHWAB, BLACK AND FROELKER.
Read 1st time February 28, 2001, and 1000 copies ordered printed.
TED WEDEL, Chief Clerk
To repeal section 32.091, RSMo 2000, relating to motor vehicle records, and to enact in lieu thereof one new section relating to the same subject.
Section A. Section 32.091, RSMo 2000, is repealed and one new section enacted in lieu thereof, to be known as section 32.091, to read as follows:
32.091. 1. As used in sections 32.090 and 32.091, the following terms mean:
(1) "Motor vehicle record", any record that pertains to a motor vehicle operator's permit, motor vehicle title, motor vehicle registration or identification card issued by the department of revenue;
(2) "Person", an individual, organization or entity, but does not include a state or agency thereof;
(3) "Personal information", information that identifies an individual, including an individual's photograph, Social Security number, driver identification number, name, address, but not the five-digit zip code, telephone number, and medical or disability information, but does not include information on vehicular accidents, driving violations and driver's status.
2. The department of revenue may disclose individual motor vehicle records pursuant to Section 2721(b)(11) of Title 18 of the United States Code and may disclose motor vehicle records in bulk pursuant to Section 2721(b)(12) of Title 18 of the United States Code, as amended by Public Law 106-69, Section 350, only if the department has obtained the express consent of the person to whom such personal information pertains.
3. Notwithstanding any other provisions of law to the contrary, the department of revenue shall not disseminate a person's driver's license photograph, Social Security number and medical or disability information from a motor vehicle record, as defined in Section 2725(1) of Title 18 of the United States Code without the express consent of the person to whom such information pertains, except for uses permitted under Sections 2721(b)(1), 2721(b)(4), 2721(b)(6) and 2721(b)(9) of Title 18 of the United States Code.
4. The department of revenue shall disclose any motor vehicle record or personal information permitted to be disclosed pursuant to Sections 2721(b)(1) to 2721(b)(10) and 2721(b)(13) to 2721(b)(14) of Title 18 of the United States Code except for the personal information described in subsection 3 of this section.
5. Pursuant to Section 2721(b)(14) of Title 18 of the United States Code, any person who has a purpose to disseminate to the public a newspaper, book, magazine, broadcast or other similar form of public communication, including dissemination by computer or other electronic means, may request the department to provide individual or bulk motor vehicle records, such dissemination being related to the operation of a motor vehicle or to public safety. Upon receipt of such request, the department shall release the requested motor vehicle records.
6. This section is not intended to limit media access to any personal information when such access is provided by agencies or entities in the interest of public safety and is otherwise authorized by law.
7. The department of revenue shall not collect from persons applying for any driver's license issued by the
department any information by which such persons can be individually identified, unless the department has
specific statutory authorization to collect such information; nor shall the department of revenue include on any
driver's license, in print, magnetic, digital, or any other format, any information by which an individual may be
identified, unless the department has specific statutory authorization to include such information.