FIRST REGULAR SESSION
HOUSE BILL NO. 430
92ND GENERAL ASSEMBLY
INTRODUCED BY REPRESENTATIVES STEVENSON, BYRD, MAYER, LIPKE (157), CARNAHAN,
PRATT, JOHNSON (61), JOHNSON (90), WILLOUGHBY, JOLLY (Co-sponsors), BURNETT, GOODMAN,
VIEBROCK, RUESTMAN, VOGT, JETTON, HARRIS (23), YATES AND BISHOP.
Read 1st time February 10, 2003, and copies ordered printed.
Read 2nd time February 11, 2003, and referred to the Committee on Judiciary February 13, 2003.
Reported from the Committee on Judiciary March 12, 2003, with recommendation that the bill Do Pass by Consent.
Perfected by Consent March 19, 2003.
STEPHEN S. DAVIS, Chief Clerk
To repeal section 476.340, RSMo, and to enact in lieu thereof one new section relating to the executive council of the judicial conference of the state of Missouri.
Be it enacted by the General Assembly of the state of Missouri, as follows:
Section A. Section 476.340, RSMo, is repealed and one new section enacted in lieu thereof, to be known as section 476.340, to read as follows:
476.340. 1. The governing body of the conference, between annual sessions, shall be the executive council. The executive council shall consist of the following members:
(1) The chief justice of the supreme court, or some member of the supreme court appointed by him;
(2) Two other members of the supreme court appointed by the supreme court;
(3) One member of each district of the court of appeals elected by the judges thereof, respectively;
(4) Eight circuit judges, other than judges of the probate division, three of whom shall be elected for three-year terms, one from each district of the court of appeals, by the circuit judges, other than judges of the probate division, of the district to represent each of the districts of the court of appeals, respectively. A judge whose circuit is in part in more than one district of the court of appeals may vote in and be elected to represent either district but not both. Five of the circuit judges on the council shall be elected for three-year terms by the circuit judges of the state;
(5) One judge of the probate division of circuit courts in counties having a population of more than thirty thousand inhabitants elected for a three-year term by the judges of the probate divisions of the circuit courts in such counties;
(6) Three associate circuit judges elected for three-year terms, one from each district of the court of appeals, by the associate circuit judges of the district to represent each of the districts of the court of appeals, respectively;
(7) Three other associate circuit judges elected for three-year terms by the associate circuit judges of the state;
(8) One associate circuit judge from counties having a population of thirty thousand inhabitants or less elected for a three-year term by the associate circuit judges in such counties;
(9) One retired judge or commissioner who is a member of the judicial conference elected for a three-year term by such judges and commissioners. Members of the executive council on August 28,  2003, shall serve out their terms and their replacements shall be elected under the provisions of this section. Vacancies shall be filled for the unexpired term of any member as provided by resolution of the judicial conference.
2. The executive council shall have general supervision of the work of the conference and such other duties and authority as may be given to it under rules or resolutions adopted by the conference. The members of the executive council shall elect one of its members vice president to act in the absence of the chief justice.