SECOND REGULAR SESSION
HOUSE BILL NO. 1052
92ND GENERAL ASSEMBLY
INTRODUCED BY REPRESENTATIVES ENGLER (Sponsor), BYRD, MOORE, DUSENBERG, PAGE, QUINN, REINHART, WHORTON, MUNZLINGER, HOBBS, JETTON,
MAYER AND RUESTMAN (Co-sponsors).
Read 1st time January 13, 2004, and copies ordered printed.
STEPHEN S. DAVIS, Chief Clerk
To amend chapter 304, RSMo, by adding thereto one new section relating to changing traffic lights, with a penalty provision.
Be it enacted by the General Assembly of the state of Missouri, as follows:
Section A. Chapter 304, RSMo, is amended by adding thereto one new section, to be known as section 304.078, to read as follows:
304.078. 1. As used in this section "emergency personnel" means any of the following:
(1) Any member of the state highway patrol, the state water patrol, any state park ranger, any federal, state, or local law enforcement officer or traffic officer, or any coroner;
(2) Any person operating an ambulance or other vehicle used for the purpose of transporting emergency medical supplies or organs while performing emergency service;
(3) Any driver of any wrecker, or tow truck or a vehicle owned and operated by a public utility or public service corporation while performing emergency service;
(4) Any person transporting equipment designed to extricate human beings from the wreckage of a motor vehicle, but only while transporting such equipment in response to a request from other emergency personnel to transport such equipment to the site of an emergency;
(5) Any person designated to perform emergency functions for a civil defense or emergency management agency established pursuant to the provisions of chapter 44, RSMo;
(6) Any authorized employee of the department of corrections, who as a part of the employee's official duties, is responding to a riot, disturbance, hostage incident, escape or other critical situation where there is the threat of serious physical injury or death, responding to mutual aid call from another criminal justice agency in an emergency situation or accompanying an ambulance which is transporting an offender to a medical facility when such transport is an emergency situation;
(7) Any person designated to perform hazardous substance emergency functions;
(8) Any member of an organized fire department, ambulance association, or rescue squad, whether paid or volunteer, but only while responding to an emergency fire call, an emergency rescue call or an emergency ambulance call or at the scene of an emergency fire call, an emergency rescue call, or an emergency ambulance call.
2. No person other than emergency personnel shall use any device to change a traffic control signal as defined in section 300.010, RSMo.
3. No person other than emergency personnel shall possess any device which can be used to change a traffic control signal as defined in section 300.010, RSMo, unless he or she possesses it for the purpose of selling such a device to emergency personnel.
4. No person or business entity in this state shall sell to any person, other than emergency personnel, any device which can be used to change a traffic control signal, and no person or business entity shall sell such a device through the use of the Internet to any person in this state, other than emergency personnel.
5. Any person who violates the provisions of this section shall be guilty of a class A misdemeanor.