FIRST REGULAR SESSION
HOUSE BILL NO. 490
93RD GENERAL ASSEMBLY
INTRODUCED BY REPRESENTATIVES DAUS (Sponsor), HENKE, BOWMAN, SMITH (14), YOUNG,
KUESSNER, MEADOWS, SCHLOTTACH, MUNZLINGER, BLACK AND THRELKELD (Co-sponsors).
Read 1st time February 9, 2005 and copies ordered printed.
STEPHEN S. DAVIS, Chief Clerk
To amend chapter 227, RSMo, by adding thereto one new section relating to memorial highway designations.
Be it enacted by the General Assembly of the state of Missouri, as follows:
Section A. Chapter 227, RSMo, is amended by adding thereto one new section, to be known as section 227.365, to read as follows:
227.365. 1. An organization that seeks a memorial highway designation to honor an event, place, or person who has been deceased for more than two years shall petition the department of revenue by submitting the following:
(1) An application in a form prescribed by the director, describing the segment of highway for which designation is sought and the proposed name of the relevant portion of highway. The application shall include the name of at least one current member of the general assembly who will sponsor the highway designation. The application may contain written testimony for support of the memorial highway designation;
(2) Each application submitted under this section shall be accompanied by a list of at least two hundred signatures of individuals who support the naming of the highway for each mile of highway designation requested;
(3) A deposit of four hundred dollars per sign proposed to designate the memorial highway, with the funds to be used for construction of each sign;
(4) A deposit of one thousand dollars per sign proposed, with the funds to be used to maintain each sign; and
(5) All moneys received by the department of revenue, for the construction and maintenance of memorial highway signs shall be deposited in the state treasury to the credit of the "Department of Revenue Memorial Highway Sign Fund" which is hereby created. The state treasurer shall be custodian of the fund and shall make disbursements from the fund requested by the Missouri director of revenue for personal services, expenses, and equipment required to construct and maintain signs erected in accordance with the provisions of this section.
2. At the end of each state fiscal year, the director of revenue shall:
(1) Determine the amount of all moneys deposited into the department of revenue memorial highway sign fund;
(2) Determine the amount of disbursements from the department of revenue memorial highway sign fund which were made to construct and maintain the signs; and
(3) Subtract the amount of disbursements from the income figure referred to in subdivision (1) of this subsection and deliver this figure to the state treasurer.
3. The state treasurer shall transfer an amount of money equal to the figure provided by the director of revenue from the department of revenue memorial highway sign fund to the state highway department fund. An unexpended balance in the department of revenue memorial highway sign fund at the end of the biennium not exceeding twenty-five thousand dollars shall be exempt from the provisions of section 33.080, RSMo, relating to transfer of unexpended balances to the general revenue fund.
4. The documents and fees required under this section shall be submitted to the department of revenue by July first prior to the next regular session of the general assembly to be approved or denied by the joint committee on transportation oversight during that legislative session.
5. The department of revenue shall give notice of any proposed memorial highway designation in a manner reasonably calculated to advise the public of such proposal. Reasonable notice shall include posting the proposal for the highway designation on the department's official public web site, and making available copies of the highway sign designation application to any representative of the news media or public upon request and posting the application on a bulletin board or other prominent public place which is easily accessible to the public and clearly designated for that purpose at the principal office.
6. Adequate notice conforming with all the requirements of subsection 5 of this section shall be given not less than four weeks, exclusive of weekends and holidays when the facility is closed, after the submission of the application by the organization to the department of revenue. Written or electronic testimony in support or opposition of the proposed highway designation shall be submitted to the department of revenue by November thirtieth of the year of filing of the original proposal. All written testimony shall contain the printed name, signature, address, phone number, and e-mail address, if applicable, of the individual giving the testimony.
7. The department of revenue shall submit for approval all applications for memorial highway designation to the joint committee on transportation oversight during a regular session of the general assembly for approval.
8. If the memorial highway designation requested by the organization is not approved by the joint committee on transportation oversight, ninety-seven percent of the application fee shall be refunded to the requesting organization.
9. If the memorial designation requested by the organization is approved by the joint committee on transportation oversight, the department shall begin construction on the memorial highway designation sign or signs within one year after approval of the designation by the joint committee.
10. All memorial highway designations made under the provisions of this section shall sunset ten years from the date the highway designation is approved by the joint committee on transportation oversight.