FIRST REGULAR SESSION
HOUSE BILL NO. 541
93RD GENERAL ASSEMBLY
INTRODUCED BY REPRESENTATIVES HENKE (Sponsor), SWINGER, HARRIS (110), BOWMAN,
WITTE, ROORDA, HARRIS (23), SALVA, BARNITZ, SELBY, KUESSNER,
CURLS AND WRIGHT-JONES (63) (Co-sponsors).
Read 1st time February 15, 2005 and copies ordered printed.
STEPHEN S. DAVIS, Chief Clerk
To repeal section 136.055, RSMo, and to enact in lieu thereof one new section relating to license fee revenue.
Be it enacted by the General Assembly of the state of Missouri, as follows:
Section A. Section 136.055, RSMo, is repealed and one new section enacted in lieu thereof, to be known as section 136.055, to read as follows:
136.055. 1. Any person who is selected or appointed by the state director of revenue as provided in subsection 2 of this section to act as an agent of the department of revenue, whose duties shall be the sale of motor vehicle licenses and the collection of motor vehicle sales and use taxes under the provisions of section 144.440, RSMo, and who receives no salary from the department of revenue, shall be authorized to collect from the party requiring such services additional fees as compensation in full and for all services rendered on the following basis:
(1) For each motor vehicle or trailer license sold, renewed or transferred--two dollars and fifty cents beginning January 1, 1998; and four dollars beginning July 1, 2000; and five dollars beginning August 28, 2002, for those licenses biennially renewed pursuant to section 301.147, RSMo. Beginning July 1, 2003, for each motor vehicle or trailer license sold, renewed or transferred--three dollars and fifty cents and seven dollars for those licenses sold or biennially renewed pursuant to section 301.147, RSMo;
(2) For each application or transfer of title--two dollars and fifty cents beginning January 1, 1998;
(3) For each chauffeur's, operator's or driver's license--two dollars and fifty cents beginning January 1, 1998; and four dollars beginning July 1, 2000; and five dollars beginning July 1, 2003, for six-year licenses issued or renewed;
(4) For each notice of lien processed--two dollars and fifty cents beginning August 28, 2000;
(5) No notary fee or other fee or additional charge shall be paid or collected except for electronic telephone transmission reception--two dollars.
2. The department of revenue shall award fee office contracts under this section to school districts or coalitions of school districts, or to individual organizations through a competitive bidding process. Any revenues generated as a result of the competitive bidding process shall be distributed to the school districts in the county in which the fee office is located, with the funds to be distributed on a per-pupil basis.
3. All fees charged shall not exceed those in this section. Beginning July 1, 2003, the fees imposed by this section shall be collected by all permanent branch offices and all full-time or temporary offices maintained by the department of revenue.
[3.] 4. Any person acting as agent of the department of revenue for the sale and issuance of licenses and other documents related to motor vehicles shall have an insurable interest in all license plates, licenses, tabs, forms and other documents held on behalf of the department.
[4.] 5. The fee increases authorized by this section and approved by the general assembly were requested by the fee agents. All fee agent offices shall display a three foot by four foot sign with black letters of at least three inches in height on a white background which states:
The increased fees approved by the
Missouri Legislature and charged by
this fee office were requested by the