FIRST REGULAR SESSION
HOUSE BILL NO. 561
93RD GENERAL ASSEMBLY
INTRODUCED BY REPRESENTATIVES KRATKY (Sponsor), CHAPPELLE-NADAL, DAUS, JONES,
OXFORD AND JOHNSON (61) (Co-sponsors).
Read 1st time February 16, 2005 and copies ordered printed.
STEPHEN S. DAVIS, Chief Clerk
To amend chapter 84, RSMo, by adding thereto one new section relating to park rangers of the City of St. Louis.
Be it enacted by the General Assembly of the state of Missouri, as follows:
Section A. Chapter 84, RSMo, is amended by adding thereto one new section, to be known as section 84.345, to read as follows:
84.345. 1. Each park ranger employed by the City of St. Louis director of parks, recreation, and forestry shall complete the minimum requirements for the basic training of peace officers as established pursuant to the provisions of chapter 590, RSMo, a program for mandatory standards for the basic training of park rangers, and any other program or training required by the City of St. Louis director of parks, recreation, and forestry.
2. Any park ranger of the City of St. Louis who successfully completes the requirements set forth in subsection 1 of this section shall have the power to make arrests in City-owned parks or other lands under the jurisdiction of the City of St. Louis director of parks, recreation, and forestry but only under the following circumstances and conditions:
(1) An arrest can only be made within the boundaries of a park or other land under the jurisdiction of the City of St. Louis director of parks, recreation, and forestry and on adjacent, leading and adjoining roadways;
(2) The park ranger must be in his or her assigned park or other land when making an arrest;
(3) The park ranger must be acting in the scope of his or her employment at the time of the arrest.
3. Any person arrested by a park ranger who has outstanding wants or warrants at the time of the arrest shall also be processed by the park ranger for the wants or warrants.
4. All park rangers shall be armed while on duty.
5. No park ranger of the City of St. Louis when deciding whom to place under suspicion or surveillance or both shall in any manner whatsoever equate the race of any person with criminality or otherwise use racial status in the absence of, or in lieu of, probable cause or reasonable suspicion that a crime has been, or is about to be committed. In addition park rangers of the City of St. Louis shall be in full compliance with the provisions of section 590.065, RSMo, relating to racial profiling.
6. The St. Louis metropolitan police department shall assist and cooperate with the park rangers of the City of St. Louis in order to protect citizens and their property.