FIRST REGULAR SESSION
HOUSE BILL NO. 680
93RD GENERAL ASSEMBLY
INTRODUCED BY REPRESENTATIVES HARRIS (110) (Sponsor), SCHAD AND MYERS (Co-sponsors).
Read 1st time March 1, 2005 and copies ordered printed.
STEPHEN S. DAVIS, Chief Clerk
To repeal section 265.300, RSMo, and to enact in lieu thereof one new section relating to meat inspection.
Be it enacted by the General Assembly of the state of Missouri, as follows:
Section A. Section 265.300, RSMo, is repealed and one new section enacted in lieu thereof, to be known as section 265.300, to read as follows:
265.300. The following terms as used in sections 265.300 to 265.470, unless the context otherwise indicates, mean:
(1) "Adulterated", any meat or meat product under one or more of the circumstances listed in Title XXI, Chapter 12, Section 601 of the United States Code as now constituted or hereafter amended;
(2) "Capable of use as human food", any carcass, or part or product of a carcass, of any animal unless it is denatured or otherwise identified, as required by regulation prescribed by the director, to deter its use as human food, or is naturally inedible by humans;
(3) "Cold storage warehouse", any place for storing meat or meat products which contains at any one time over two thousand five hundred pounds of meat or meat products belonging to any one private owner other than the owner or operator of the warehouse;
(4) "Commercial plant", any establishment in which livestock or poultry are slaughtered for transportation or sale as articles of commerce intended for or capable of use for human consumption, or in which meat or meat products are prepared for transportation or sale as articles of commerce, intended for or capable of use for human consumption;
(5) "Director", the director of the department of agriculture of this state, or his authorized representative;
(6) "Livestock", cattle, calves, sheep, swine, llamas, alpaca, buffalo, ratite birds including but not limited to ostrich and emu, aquatic products as defined in section 277.024, RSMo, elk documented as obtained from a legal source and not from the wild, goats, or horses, other equines, or rabbits raised in confinement for human consumption;
(7) "Meat", any edible portion of livestock or poultry carcass or part thereof;
(8) "Meat product", anything containing meat intended for or capable of use for human consumption, which is derived, in whole or in part, from livestock or poultry;
(9) "Misbranded", any meat or meat product under one or more of the circumstances listed in Title XXI, Chapter 12, Section 601 of the United States Code as now constituted or hereafter amended;
(10) "Official inspection mark", the symbol prescribed by the director stating that an article was inspected and passed or condemned;
(11) "Poultry", any domesticated bird intended for human consumption;
(12) "Prepared", slaughtered, canned, salted, rendered, boned, cut up, or otherwise manufactured or processed;
(a) Processed, prepared, packed or held under unsanitary conditions;
(b) Produced in whole or in part from livestock or poultry which has died other than by slaughter.