FIRST REGULAR SESSION
HOUSE BILL NO. 825
93RD GENERAL ASSEMBLY
INTRODUCED BY REPRESENTATIVES CHINN (Sponsor), BLACK, ROARK, GOODMAN, NANCE,
MOORE, NOLTE, RUESTMAN, DETHROW, SANDER, ROBB, FAITH, SELF, LOEHNER, JACKSON,
WETER, CUNNINGHAM (145), HUNTER, SMITH (14) AND GUEST (Co-sponsors).
Read 1st time March 17, 2005 and copies ordered printed.
STEPHEN S. DAVIS, Chief Clerk
To amend chapter 160, RSMo, by adding thereto one new section relating to the powers of local school boards.
Be it enacted by the General Assembly of the state of Missouri, as follows:
Section A. Chapter 160, RSMo, is amended by adding thereto one new section, to be known as section 160.745, to read as follows:
160.745. 1. This section shall be known as "The Founding Documents Protection Act".
2. The board of directors of any school district shall not prohibit any teacher or administrator in a public school district of the state of Missouri to read or post in a public school building, classroom, or at a school event any excerpts or portions of the following:
(1) National motto;
(2) National anthem;
(3) Pledge of allegiance;
(4) Preamble of the Missouri Constitution;
(5) Declaration of Independence;
(6) Mayflower Compact;
(7) The writings, speeches, documents, and proclamations of the founding fathers and presidents of the United States;
(8) The United States Supreme Court decisions;
(9) Acts of the United States Congress, including the published text of the Congressional Record; and
(10) The writings, speeches, documents, and proclamations of the civil rights leaders of our nation.
3. There shall be no content-based censorship of American history or heritage in the state of Missouri based on religious references in the writings, documents, and records specified in this section.