FIRST REGULAR SESSION
HOUSE BILL NO. 85
94TH GENERAL ASSEMBLY
INTRODUCED BY REPRESENTATIVES KRAUS (Sponsor), SMITH (14), DAY, DUSENBERG, McGHEE AND MEADOWS (Co-sponsors).
Pre-filed December 6, 2006 and copies ordered printed.
D. ADAM CRUMBLISS, Chief Clerk
To amend chapter 285, RSMo, by adding thereto one new section relating to employment of illegal aliens, with a penalty provision.
Be it enacted by the General Assembly of the state of Missouri, as follows:
Section A. Chapter 285, RSMo, is amended by adding thereto one new section, to be known as section 285.023, to read as follows:
285.023. 1. An employer commits the crime of employing an illegal alien if such employer knowingly or with criminal negligence hires an illegal alien to work full or part time for the employer.
2. As used in this section "illegal alien" means any person who unlawfully enters or unlawfully remains in the United States.
3. Employing an illegal alien is a felony for which the authorized punishment for a first offense is a fine in an amount not less than one thousand dollars and not to exceed fifty thousand dollars. For a second offense the authorized punishment is a fine in an amount not less than five thousand dollars and not to exceed one hundred thousand dollars. For a third or subsequent offense the authorized punishment is a fine in an amount not less than ten thousand dollars and not to exceed two hundred thousand dollars and loss of state business license.
4. In determining the amount of the fine the court shall consider among other things the following:
(1) The percentage of the total number of employees which are illegal aliens;
(2) Whether the employer mistreated the illegal aliens or subjected them to a hazardous work environment.