FIRST REGULAR SESSION
HOUSE BILL NO. 249
94TH GENERAL ASSEMBLY
INTRODUCED BY REPRESENTATIVES MOORE (Sponsor), WALTON, SANDER, WILDBERGER, SATER, DUSENBERG, SELF AND EMERY (Co-sponsors).
Read 1st time January 4, 2007 and copies ordered printed.
D. ADAM CRUMBLISS, Chief Clerk
To amend chapter 160, RSMo, by adding thereto one new section relating to educational services for elementary and secondary students.
Be it enacted by the General Assembly of the state of Missouri, as follows:
Section A. Chapter 160, RSMo, is amended by adding thereto one new section, to be known as section 160.735, to read as follows:
160.735. 1. There is hereby established the "Missouri Senior Cadets Program", which shall be administered by the department of elementary and secondary education. The program shall encourage high school seniors to assist kindergarten through eighth grade students regarding their educational needs in their respective school districts for a minimum of ten hours per week during the school year.
2. In order to be a cadet in the program, a student shall:
(1) Be a Missouri resident who attends a Missouri high school;
(2) Possess a cumulative grade point average of at least three on a four-point scale or equivalent; and
(3) Plan to attend college.
3. Each public high school in the state shall establish guidelines for the senior cadets program. The cadet shall work with the school principal, classroom teachers, and other applicable school personnel in planning and implementing the cadet program. The cadet may provide services before, during, or after school.
4. If a cadet in the program successfully provides services for an average of at least ten hours per week during a school year, the following shall apply:
(1) The cadet shall receive one hour of elective class credit, which may satisfy graduation requirements; and
(2) Should the cadet attend college with the stated intention of becoming a teacher, the cadet shall be reimbursed, subject to appropriation, by the department of elementary and secondary education for the costs of three credit hours per semester for a total of no more than eight semesters.
5. There is hereby established in the state treasury a fund to be known as the "Missouri Senior Cadets Fund", which shall consist of all moneys that may be appropriated to it by the general assembly, and in addition may include any gifts, contributions, grants, or bequests received from federal, state, private, or other sources. The fund shall be administered by the department of elementary and secondary education. Notwithstanding the provisions of section 33.080, RSMo, to the contrary, moneys in the Missouri senior cadets fund shall not be transferred to the credit of the general revenue fund at the end of the biennium. Interest and moneys earned on the fund shall be credited to the fund. Moneys in the fund shall be used solely for the purpose of tuition reimbursements under the provisions of this section.