FIRST REGULAR SESSION
HOUSE BILL NO. 277
94TH GENERAL ASSEMBLY
INTRODUCED BY REPRESENTATIVES ROORDA (Sponsor), MEADOWS, WILDBERGER, CASEY, HOLSMAN AND KOMO (Co-sponsors).
Read 1st time January 9, 2007 and copies ordered printed.
D. ADAM CRUMBLISS, Chief Clerk
To amend chapters 217 and 488, RSMo, by adding thereto three new sections relating to corrections officer and jailer training.
Be it enacted by the General Assembly of the state of Missouri, as follows:
Section A. Chapters 217 and 488, RSMo, are amended by adding thereto three new sections, to be known as sections 217.106, 217.108, and 488.5340, to read as follows:
217.106. 1. There is hereby created in the state treasury the "Corrections Officer Training Fund". The corrections officer training fund shall be administered by the corrections officer certification commission. Money in the fund shall be used solely for training required as provided in section 217.108. All interest earned upon moneys in the fund shall be credited to the corrections officer training fund.
2. The provisions of section 33.080, RSMo, to the contrary notwithstanding, moneys in the corrections officer training fund shall not be transferred and placed to the credit of the general revenue fund.
217.108. 1. For the three-year time period beginning January 1, 2008, and ending December 31, 2010, and for every succeeding three-year time period thereafter, all corrections officers as defined in section 217.105 and all jailers as defined in chapter 221, RSMo, shall receive a minimum of thirty-six hours of training during each and every three year time period.
2. The thirty-six hours of training required under subsection one of this section shall be as follows:
(1) A minimum of eighteen hours of the training shall be police academy training provided by an institution meeting POST requirements pursuant to chapter 590, RSMo;
(2) A maximum of eighteen hours of the training shall be provided through in-house training through the employing agency or through other nonPOST approved providers.
3. Specific training standards for the thirty-six hours of required training shall be determined by the corrections officer certification commission as established in section 217.105.
488.5340. There is created in section 217.106, RSMo, the corrections officer training fund. A surcharge of five dollars shall be assessed as costs in each court proceeding filed in any circuit court in the state, or in any municipal court in the state that employs a jailer as defined in chapter 221, RSMo, in all criminal cases in which the defendant is placed on supervised or unsupervised probation, including violations of any county ordinance or any violation of criminal or traffic laws of the state, including an infraction and violation of a municipal ordinance; except that no such fee shall be collected in any proceeding in any court when costs are to be paid by the state, county, or municipality. Such surcharge shall be collected and disbursed as provided in sections 488.010 to 488.020, RSMo, and payable to the state treasury to the credit of the corrections officer training fund created in section 217.106, RSMo. Such surcharge shall be in addition to the court costs and fees and limits on such court costs and fees established by section 66.110, RSMo, and section 479.260, RSMo.