FIRST REGULAR SESSION
HOUSE BILL NO. 771
94TH GENERAL ASSEMBLY
INTRODUCED BY REPRESENTATIVES BEARDEN (Sponsor), ROBB, MUSCHANY, LEMBKE, RUESTMAN, COOPER (120), DEMPSEY, HUNTER, JETTON, ICET, DIXON, FUNDERBURK AND DOUGHERTY (Co-Sponsors).
Read 1st time February 7, 2007 and copies ordered printed.
D. ADAM CRUMBLISS, Chief Clerk
To amend chapter 168, RSMo, by adding thereto one new section relating to compensation of school administrators.
Be it enacted by the General Assembly of the state of Missouri, as follows:
Section A. Chapter 168, RSMo, is amended by adding thereto one new section, to be known as section 168.215, to read as follows:
168.215. 1. The provisions of this section shall be known as the "Superintendent Targeted Achievement Record" or STAR program.
2. As used in this section "total compensation package" includes but is not limited to base salary, retirement benefits, dues and club memberships, housing and auto allowances, entertainment allowances, cell phone or personal digital assistant and service contract, deferred compensation, buy-out clause, pay-for-performance goals, donations from school foundations, and any other valuable consideration provided as cash, credit, or services as a result of employment, expressed in dollars.
3. Each school district shall annually report to the department of elementary and secondary education, no later than September first of the current school year, the total compensation package, as defined in subsection 2 of this section, for each school administrator, including the superintendent, all assistant superintendents, principals, and assistant principals. If consultants are hired to do such administrative duties, the district shall report the total compensation package of each such consultant. The disclosure shall be made separately for each individual administrator. The information reported under this section shall be included on the department's web site for the remainder of the school year and shall be maintained for the remainder of the school year on the district's web site, if the district maintains a web site.
4. Each school district shall annually report to the department of elementary and secondary education, for inclusion in the school report card under section 160.522, RSMo, the total compensation package, as defined in subsection 2 of this section, for the highest paid classroom teacher, the average for all classroom teachers, and for the position of superintendent. The information reported under this section shall be included on the department's web site on the page where school data by district is available and shall be posted each year on the district's web site, if the district maintains a web site.
5. In addition to the information required under subsection 4 of this section, the district shall also provide the following performance measures from the three latest available years:
(1) Number of district schools that achieved adequate yearly progress under the provisions of the No Child Left Behind Act of 2002 in all student groups and the total number of schools;
(2) Number of standards met out of the fourteen reported on the district's annual performance report pursuant to the Missouri school improvement program; and
(3) Percentage of certificated classroom teachers who are in their first year of employment with the district.
6. Each school district shall provide the information required under this section to parents, community members, the print and broadcast media, and legislators by the deadlines contained in this section or as soon as such information becomes available.
7. A failure to file the information required by this section shall result in provisional accreditation. A second failure within three consecutive years shall result in unaccredited status.