SECOND REGULAR SESSION
HOUSE BILL NO. 1477
94TH GENERAL ASSEMBLY
INTRODUCED BY REPRESENTATIVES CUNNINGHAM (86) (Sponsor), COOPER (155), STEVENSON, NIEVES, RUESTMAN, SANDER, WALLACE, DAVIS, COX, SCHARNHORST, SCHAD AND McGHEE (Co-sponsors).
Pre-filed December 18, 2007 and copies ordered printed.
D. ADAM CRUMBLISS, Chief Clerk
To amend chapter 168, RSMo, by adding thereto one new section relating to public school teachers.
Be it enacted by the General Assembly of the state of Missouri, as follows:
Section A. Chapter 168, RSMo, is amended by adding thereto one new section, to be known as section 168.132, to read as follows:
168.132. 1. This section shall be known and may be cited as the "Teacher Bill of Rights Act".
2. No Missouri teacher association within or operating within this state shall use or obtain any portion of dues or any other fees paid by a member of the association or individuals who are not members through payroll deduction or directly for disbursement to a committee, as defined in section 130.011, RSMo, except upon the written consent of the member or an individual who is not a member received within the previous twelve months on a form described in subsection 4 of this section which is signed by the member or nonmember and official of the association.
3. Subsection 2 of this section shall not apply to any dues or fees collected from members of the association or individuals who are not members for the benefit of charitable organizations organized under 26 U.S.C. Section 501(c)(3) or for health care insurance or similar purposes intended to directly benefit the specific member of the association or individual who is not a member.
4. The authorization form referred to in subsection 2 of this section shall contain in no smaller than twenty-four-point type the statement "Consent for political use of dues or fees or request to make political contributions.", and in no smaller than fourteen-point type the following information:
(1) Authorization to use the member's or nonmember's dues or other fees during the next twelve months as a political contribution or expenditure;
(2) A specified amount by the member or nonmember to contribute;
(3) The committee the member or nonmember wishes to contribute the dues or fees;
(4) Name and signature of the employee; and
(5) Name and signature of the association.
5. Any teacher association that uses a portion of the dues or other fees to make contributions or expenditures under subsection 2 of this section shall maintain records that include a copy of each authorization obtained under subsection 4 of this section, the amounts and dates funds were actually withheld, the amounts and dates funds were transferred to a committee, and the committee to which the funds were transferred. Records maintained under this subsection shall not include the employee's home address or telephone number.
6. Copies of all records maintained under subsection 5 of this section shall not be subject to chapter 610, RSMo.
7. Individuals who do not authorize contributions or expenditures under subsection 2 of this section shall not have their dues or other fees raised in lieu of the contribution or expenditure.
8. If the dues or other fees referred to in subsections 2 and 4 of this section included an amount for a contribution or expenditure, the dues or other fees shall be reduced by that amount for any individual who does not sign an authorization as described in subsection 2 of this section.
9. The requirement of this section shall not be waived by the member or individual, and waiver of these requirements shall not be made a condition of employment or continued employment.