SECOND REGULAR SESSION
HOUSE BILL NO. 1704
94TH GENERAL ASSEMBLY
INTRODUCED BY REPRESENTATIVES WALLACE (Sponsor), ROBB, THOMSON, SCHAD, WILSON (119), LOEHNER, PRATT, VIEBROCK, SATER, DENISON, NANCE, WASSON, WHORTON, SMITH (150), FISHER, BAKER (25), STREAM, SCHIEFFER, KINGERY, CUNNINGHAM (145), WETER, WRIGHT, SANDER, RUESTMAN, MUNZLINGER, DEEKEN, SWINGER, DETHROW, JETTON, MOORE, WILSON (130), FRANZ, MAY, RUCKER, MARSH, LAMPE, POLLOCK, WELLS, TILLEY, QUINN (9), DAY, HOBBS, SCHARNHORST, JONES (117), WITTE, RICHARD, GUEST, SCHNEIDER, AULL, KELLY, COOPER (155), KUESSNER, TODD, BRANDOM, HODGES, YAEGER, GRISAMORE, FALLERT, McGHEE, SCHLOTTACH, BRINGER AND PEARCE (Co-sponsors).
Read 1st time January 17, 2008 and copies ordered printed.
D. ADAM CRUMBLISS, Chief Clerk
To repeal section 163.044, RSMo, and to enact in lieu thereof one new section relating to grants for small schools.
Be it enacted by the General Assembly of the state of Missouri, as follows:
Section A. Section 163.044, RSMo, is repealed and one new section enacted in lieu thereof, to be known as section 163.044, to read as follows:
163.044. 1. Beginning with the 2007 fiscal year and each subsequent fiscal year, the general assembly shall appropriate [fifteen] twenty million dollars to be directed in the following manner to school districts with an average daily attendance of three hundred fifty students or less in the school year preceding the payment year:
(1) [Ten] Fifteen million dollars shall be distributed to the eligible districts in proportion to their average daily attendance; and
(2) Five million dollars shall be directed to the eligible districts that have an operating levy for school purposes in the current year equal to or greater than the performance levy. A tax-rate-weighted average daily attendance shall be calculated for each eligible district in proportion to its operating levy for school purposes for the current year divided by the performance levy with that result multiplied by the district's average daily attendance in the school year preceding the payment year. The total appropriation pursuant to this subdivision shall then be divided by the sum of the tax-rate-weighted average daily attendance of the eligible districts, and the resulting amount per tax-rate-weighted average daily attendance shall be multiplied by each eligible district's tax-rate-weighted average daily attendance to determine the amount to be paid to each eligible district.
2. Beginning with the 2009 fiscal year and each subsequent fiscal year, the general assembly shall appropriate an amount to be directed in the following manner to school districts with an average daily attendance of four hundred forty-nine to three hundred fifty-one students in the school year preceding the payment year in proportion to their average daily attendance, so that a school district with an average daily attendance of three hundred fifty-one shall receive ninety-nine percent of the amount per average daily attendance distributed under subdivision (1) of subsection 1 of this section, and the percentage increment shall decrease by one percent per average daily attendance as average daily attendance increases to four hundred forty-nine.
3. The payment under this section shall not be transferred to the capital projects fund. [3.] 4. Except as provided in subsection  3 of this section, districts receiving payments under this section may use the moneys for, including but not limited to, the following:
(1) Distance learning;
(2) Extraordinary transportation costs;
(3) Rural teacher recruitment; and
(4) Student learning opportunities not available within the district.