SECOND REGULAR SESSION
HOUSE BILL NO. 1953
94TH GENERAL ASSEMBLY
INTRODUCED BY REPRESENTATIVES LEMBKE (Sponsor), RUESTMAN, HARRIS (110), PORTWOOD, SANDER, NIEVES, MOORE, DAVIS, SCHIEFFER, ONDER, HARRIS (110) AND MUSCHANY (Co-sponsors).
Read 1st time January 31, 2008 and copies ordered printed.
D. ADAM CRUMBLISS, Chief Clerk
To amend chapter 565, RSMo, by adding thereto one new section relating to prohibiting the creation of mixed human-animal individuals, with penalty provisions.
Be it enacted by the General Assembly of the state of Missouri, as follows:
Section A. Chapter 565, RSMo, is amended by adding thereto one new section, to be known as section 565.325, to read as follows:
565.325. 1. As used in this section, the following terms mean:
(1) "Human chimera", any of the following:
(a) A human embryo into which a nonhuman cell or cells, or the component parts thereof, have been introduced that render its membership in the species homo sapiens uncertain through germline or other changes;
(b) A hybrid human/animal embryo produced by fertilizing a human egg with a nonhuman sperm;
(c) A hybrid human/animal embryo produced by fertilizing a nonhuman egg with human sperm;
(d) An embryo produced by introducing a nonhuman cell nucleus into a human egg;
(e) An embryo produced by introducing a human nucleus into a nonhuman egg;
(f) An embryo containing haploid sets of chromosomes from both a human and a nonhuman life form;
(g) A nonhuman life form engineered such that human gametes develop within the body of a nonhuman life form; or
(h) A nonhuman life form engineered such that it contains a human brain or a brain derived wholly or predominantly from human neural tissues;
(2) "Human embryo", an organism of the species homo sapiens during the early stages of development, from one cell forward.
2. No person shall knowingly perform any of the following acts:
(1) Create or attempt to create a human chimera;
(2) Transfer or attempt to transfer a human embryo into a nonhuman womb;
(3) Transfer or attempt to transfer a nonhuman embryo into a human womb; or
(4) Transport or receive for any purpose a human chimera.
3. Any person who violates the provisions of this section is guilty of a class D felony. Any person who violates the provisions of this section and derives pecuniary gain from such violation shall be subject to a civil fine of the greater of one million dollars or an amount equal to three times the amount of the gross gain resulting from such violation.