FIRST REGULAR SESSION
HOUSE BILL NO. 539
95TH GENERAL ASSEMBLY
INTRODUCED BY REPRESENTATIVES DIXON (Sponsor), SCHIEFFER, GRISAMORE, LEARA AND GATSCHENBERGER (Co-sponsors).
1467L.01I D. ADAM CRUMBLISS, Chief Clerk
To repeal section 301.218, RSMo, and to enact in lieu thereof one new section relating to salvage vehicles.
Be it enacted by the General Assembly of the state of Missouri, as follows:
Section A. Section 301.218, RSMo, is repealed and one new section enacted in lieu thereof, to be known as section 301.218, to read as follows:
301.218. 1. No person shall, except as an incident to the sale, repair, rebuilding or servicing of vehicles by a licensed franchised motor vehicle dealer, carry on or conduct the following business unless licensed to do so by the department of revenue under sections 301.217 to 301.229:
(1) Selling used parts of or used accessories for vehicles as a used parts dealer, as defined in section 301.010;
(2) Salvaging, wrecking or dismantling vehicles for resale of the parts thereof as a salvage dealer or dismantler, as defined in section 301.010;
(3) Rebuilding and repairing four or more wrecked or dismantled vehicles in a calendar year as a rebuilder or body shop, as defined in section 301.010;
(4) Processing scrapped vehicles or vehicle parts as a mobile scrap processor, as defined in section 301.010.
2. Sales at a salvage pool or a salvage disposal sale shall be open [only to and made to persons actually engaged in and holding a current license under sections 301.217 to 301.221 and 301.550 to 301.573 or any person from another state or jurisdiction who is legally allowed in his or her state of domicile to purchase for resale, rebuild, dismantle, crush, or scrap either motor vehicles or salvage vehicles,] to persons who are residents of the United States, and to persons who reside in a foreign country that are purchasing salvage vehicles for export outside of the United States. Operators of salvage pools or salvage disposal sales shall keep a record, for three years, of sales of salvage vehicles with the purchasers' name and address, and the year, make, and vehicle identification number for each vehicle. These records shall be open for inspection as provided in section 301.225. Such records shall be submitted to the department on a quarterly basis.
3. The [seller of] operator of a salvage pool or salvage disposal sale, or subsequent purchaser, who sells a nonrepairable motor vehicle or a salvage motor vehicle to a person who is not a resident of the United States at a salvage pool or a salvage disposal sale shall:
(1) Stamp on the face of the title so as not to obscure any name, date, or mileage statement on the title the words "FOR EXPORT ONLY" in capital letters that are black; and
(2) Stamp in each unused reassignment space on the back of the title the words "FOR EXPORT ONLY" and print the number of the dealer's salvage vehicle license, name of the salvage pool, or the name of the governmental entity, as applicable.
The words "FOR EXPORT ONLY" required under subdivisions (1) and (2) of this subsection shall be at least two inches wide and clearly legible. Copies of the stamped titles shall be forwarded to the department.
4. The director of revenue shall issue a separate license for each kind of business described in subsection 1 of this section, to be entitled and designated as either "used parts dealer"; "salvage dealer or dismantler"; "rebuilder or body shop"; or "mobile scrap processor" license.