FIRST REGULAR SESSION
HOUSE BILL NO. 611
95TH GENERAL ASSEMBLY
INTRODUCED BY REPRESENTATIVES OXFORD (Sponsor), NASHEED, WALSH, HARRIS, FALLERT, WALTON GRAY, PACE, MORRIS, McCLANAHAN, DEEKEN, CURLS, LOW AND JONES (63) (Co-sponsors).
0858L.01I D. ADAM CRUMBLISS, Chief Clerk
To repeal section 376.816, RSMo, and to enact in lieu thereof one new section relating to health insurance for adopted children.
Be it enacted by the General Assembly of the state of Missouri, as follows:
Section A. Section 376.816, RSMo, is repealed and one new section enacted in lieu thereof, to be known as section 376.816, to read as follows:
376.816. 1. No [individual or group insurance policy providing coverage on an expense-incurred basis, no individual or group service or indemnity contract issued by a not-for-profit health services corporation, no health maintenance organization nor any self-insured group health benefit plan of any type or description shall be offered, issued or renewed in this state on or after July 10, 1991, unless the policy, plan or contract] health carrier or health benefit plan that offers or issues health benefit plans, other than Medicaid health benefit plans, shall deliver, issue for delivery, continue, or renew a health benefit plan to a Missouri resident on or after January 1, 2010, unless the health benefit plan covers adopted children of the insured, subscriber or enrollee on the same basis as other dependents.
2. The coverage required by subsection 1 of this section is effective:
(1) From the date of birth if a petition for adoption is filed within thirty days of the birth of such child; or
(2) From the date of placement for the purpose of adoption if a petition for adoption is filed within thirty days of placement of such child.
Such coverage shall continue unless the placement is disrupted prior to legal adoption and the child is removed from placement. Coverage shall include the necessary care and treatment of medical conditions existing prior to the date of placement.
3. As used in this section, the following terms shall mean:
(1) "Health benefit plan", the same meaning as such term is defined in section 376.1350;
(2) "Health carrier", the same meaning as such term is defined in section 376.1350;
(3) "Placement" [means] , in the physical custody of the adoptive parent.