FIRST REGULAR SESSION
HOUSE BILL NO. 617
95TH GENERAL ASSEMBLY
INTRODUCED BY REPRESENTATIVES BROWN (149) (Sponsor), LAIR, DIECKHAUS, RIDDLE, FLANIGAN, NANCE, GUERNSEY, DAY, TRACY, FRANZ, LOEHNER AND SCHLOTTACH (Cosponsors).
1320L.02I D. ADAM CRUMBLISS, Chief Clerk
To amend chapter 322, RSMo, by adding thereto one new section relating to vaccination of dogs and cats against rabies, with a penalty provision.
Be it enacted by the General Assembly of the state of Missouri, as follows:
Section A. Chapter 322, RSMo, is amended by adding thereto one new section, to be known as section 322.035, to read as follows:
322.035. 1. The owner of every dog or cat in this state shall ensure that such dog or cat is currently vaccinated against rabies by a veterinarian, as defined in section 340.200, RSMo. Each dog or cat shall be vaccinated initially and periodically for rabies:
(1) Based on the age of the dog or cat and the type of rabies vaccine administered, as determined by a veterinarian; or
(2) As required by an applicable municipal or county ordinance.
Each such vaccination shall be kept current for each dog or cat.
2. As used in this section, the following terms shall mean:
(1) "Cat", any domestic feline animal (felis catus);
(2) "Currently vaccinated against rabies", receipt of a primary rabies vaccine or receipt of a booster vaccine administered in accordance with the 2008 Compendium of Animal Rabies Prevention and Control prepared by the National Association of State Public Health Veterinarians. Such rabies vaccinations shall be performed by a veterinarian;
(3) "Dog", any domestic canine animal (canis familiaris);
(4) "Owner", any person who keeps or harbors an animal, as defined in section 578.005, RSMo. Owner shall not include veterinarians or kennel operators who have temporary custody for a period of less than sixty days of animals owned by other persons.
3. Any owner who violates this section is guilty of a class C misdemeanor for each dog or cat.