SECOND REGULAR SESSION
HOUSE BILL NO. 1689
95TH GENERAL ASSEMBLY
INTRODUCED BY REPRESENTATIVES LeVOTA (Sponsor), MORRIS, ATKINS, PACE, SCHIEFFER, STILL, GRILL, OXFORD, DOUGHERTY, NANCE, STORCH AND LAMPE (Co-sponsors).
3373L.01I D. ADAM CRUMBLISS, Chief Clerk
To repeal section 578.025, RSMo, and to enact in lieu thereof one new section relating to dog fighting, with penalty provisions.
Be it enacted by the General Assembly of the state of Missouri, as follows:
Section A. Section 578.025, RSMo, is repealed and one new section enacted in lieu thereof, to be known as section 578.025, to read as follows:
578.025. 1. Any person who:
(1) Owns, possesses, keeps, or trains any dog, with the intent that such dog shall be engaged in an exhibition of fighting with another dog;
(2) For amusement or gain, causes any dog to fight with another dog, or causes any dogs to injure each other; [or]
(3) Possesses dog fighting paraphernalia; or
(4) Permits any act as described in subdivision (1) [or] , (2), or (3) of this subsection to be done on any premises under [his] such persons charge or control, or aids or abets any such act is guilty of a class D felony for a first offense and a class C felony for a second or subsequent offense.
2. Any person who is knowingly present, as a spectator, at any place, building, or structure where preparations are being made for an exhibition of the fighting of dogs, with the intent to be present at such preparations, or is knowingly present at such exhibition or at any other fighting or injuring as described in subdivision (2) of subsection 1 of this section, with the intent to be present at such exhibition, fighting, or injuring is guilty of a class A misdemeanor for a first offense and a class D felony for a second or subsequent offense.
3. Nothing in this section shall be construed to prohibit:
(1) The use of dogs in the management of livestock by the owner of such livestock or his or her employees or agents or other persons in lawful custody of such livestock;
(2) The use of dogs in hunting; or
(3) The training of dogs or the use of equipment in the training of dogs for any purpose not prohibited by law.