FIRST REGULAR SESSION
HOUSE BILL NO. 354
96TH GENERAL ASSEMBLY
INTRODUCED BY REPRESENTATIVES FAITH (Sponsor), ZERR, PARKINSON, FUNDERBURK, SCHNEIDER, GATSCHENBERGER AND DIECKHAUS (Co-sponsors).
1205L.01I D. ADAM CRUMBLISS, Chief Clerk
To repeal section 643.315, RSMo, and to enact in lieu thereof one new section relating to exempting qualified plug-in electric drive vehicles from the motor vehicle emissions inspection program.
Be it enacted by the General Assembly of the state of Missouri, as follows:
Section A. Section 643.315, RSMo, is repealed and one new section enacted in lieu thereof, to be known as section 643.315, to read as follows:
643.315. 1. Except as provided in sections 643.300 to 643.355, all motor vehicles which are domiciled, registered or primarily operated in an area for which the commission has established a motor vehicle emissions inspection program pursuant to sections 643.300 to 643.355 shall be inspected and approved prior to sale or transfer; provided that, if such vehicle is inspected and approved prior to sale or transfer, such vehicle shall not be subject to another emissions inspection for ninety days after the date of sale or transfer of such vehicle. In addition, any such vehicle manufactured as an even-numbered model year vehicle shall be inspected and approved under the emissions inspection program established pursuant to sections 643.300 to 643.355 in each even-numbered calendar year and any such vehicle manufactured as an odd-numbered model year vehicle shall be inspected and approved under the emissions inspection program established pursuant to sections 643.300 to 643.355 in each odd-numbered calendar year. All motor vehicles subject to the inspection requirements of sections 643.300 to 643.355 shall display a valid emissions inspection sticker, and when applicable, a valid emissions inspection certificate shall be presented at the time of registration or registration renewal of such motor vehicle. The department of revenue shall require evidence of the safety and emission inspection and approval required by this section in issuing the motor vehicle annual registration in conformity with the procedure required by sections 307.350 to 307.390 and sections 643.300 to 643.355. The director of revenue may verify that a successful safety and emissions inspection was completed via electronic means.
2. The inspection requirement of subsection 1 of this section shall apply to all motor vehicles except:
(1) Motor vehicles with a manufacturer's gross vehicle weight rating in excess of eight thousand five hundred pounds;
(2) Motorcycles and motortricycles if such vehicles are exempted from the motor vehicle emissions inspection under federal regulation and approved by the commission by rule;
(3) Model year vehicles manufactured prior to 1996;
(4) Vehicles which are powered exclusively by electric or hydrogen power or by fuels other than gasoline which are exempted from the motor vehicle emissions inspection under federal regulation and approved by the commission by rule;
(5) Motor vehicles registered in an area subject to the inspection requirements of sections 643.300 to 643.355 which are domiciled and operated exclusively in an area of the state not subject to the inspection requirements of sections 643.300 to 643.355, but only if the owner of such vehicle presents to the department an affidavit that the vehicle will be operated exclusively in an area of the state not subject to the inspection requirements of sections 643.300 to 643.355 for the next twenty-four months, and the owner applies for and receives a waiver which shall be presented at the time of registration or registration renewal;
(6) New and unused motor vehicles, of model years of the current calendar year and of any calendar year within two years of such calendar year, which have an odometer reading of less than six thousand miles at the time of original sale by a motor vehicle manufacturer or licensed motor vehicle dealer to the first user;
(7) Historic motor vehicles registered pursuant to section 301.131;
(8) School buses;
(9) Heavy-duty diesel-powered vehicles with a gross vehicle weight rating in excess of eight thousand five hundred pounds;
(10) New motor vehicles that have not been previously titled and registered, for the four-year period following their model year of manufacture, provided the odometer reading for such motor vehicles are under forty thousand miles at their first required biennial safety inspection conducted under sections 307.350 to 307.390; otherwise such motor vehicles shall be subject to the emissions inspection requirements of subsection 1 of this section during the same period that the biennial safety inspection is conducted; [and]
(11) Motor vehicles that are driven fewer than twelve thousand miles between biennial safety inspections; and
(12) Qualified plug-in electric drive vehicles. For the purposes of this section, "qualified plug-in electric drive vehicle" shall mean a four-wheeled motor vehicle that:
(a) Is made by a manufacturer;
(b) Is manufactured primarily for use on public streets, roads, and highways;
(c) Has not been modified from original manufacturer specifications;
(d) Is acquired for use or lease by the motor vehicle owner and not for resale;
(e) Is rated at not more than eight thousand five hundred pounds unloaded gross vehicle weight;
(f) Has a maximum speed capability of at least fifty-five miles per hour; and
(g) Is propelled to a significant extent by an electric motor that draws electricity from a battery that:
a. Has a capacity of not less than four kilowatt hours; and
b. Is capable of being recharged from an external source of electricity.
3. The commission may, by rule, allow inspection reciprocity with other states having equivalent or more stringent testing and waiver requirements than those established pursuant to sections 643.300 to 643.355.
4. (1) At the time of sale, a licensed motor vehicle dealer, as defined in section 301.550, may choose to sell a motor vehicle subject to the inspection requirements of sections 643.300 to 643.355 either:
(a) With prior inspection and approval as provided in subdivision (2) of this subsection; or
(b) Without prior inspection and approval as provided in subdivision (3) of this subsection.
(2) If the dealer chooses to sell the vehicle with prior inspection and approval, the dealer shall disclose, in writing, prior to sale, whether the vehicle obtained approval by meeting the emissions standards established pursuant to sections 643.300 to 643.355 or by obtaining a waiver pursuant to section 643.335. A vehicle sold pursuant to this subdivision by a licensed motor vehicle dealer shall be inspected and approved within the one hundred twenty days immediately preceding the date of sale, and, for the purpose of registration of such vehicle, such inspection shall be considered timely.
(3) If the dealer chooses to sell the vehicle without prior inspection and approval, the purchaser may return the vehicle within ten days of the date of purchase, provided that the vehicle has no more than one thousand additional miles since the time of sale, if the vehicle fails, upon inspection, to meet the emissions standards specified by the commission and the dealer shall have the vehicle inspected and approved without the option for a waiver of the emissions standard and return the vehicle to the purchaser with a valid emissions certificate and sticker within five working days or the purchaser and dealer may enter into any other mutually acceptable agreement. If the dealer chooses to sell the vehicle without prior inspection and approval, the dealer shall disclose conspicuously on the sales contract and bill of sale that the purchaser has the option to return the vehicle within ten days, provided that the vehicle has no more than one thousand additional miles since the time of sale, to have the dealer repair the vehicle and provide an emissions certificate and sticker within five working days if the vehicle fails, upon inspection, to meet the emissions standards established by the commission, or enter into any mutually acceptable agreement with the dealer. A violation of this subdivision shall be an unlawful practice as defined in section 407.020. No emissions inspection shall be required pursuant to sections 643.300 to 643.360 for the sale of any motor vehicle which may be sold without a certificate of inspection and approval, as provided pursuant to subsection 2 of section 307.380.