FIRST REGULAR SESSION
HOUSE BILL NO. 543
96TH GENERAL ASSEMBLY
INTRODUCED BY REPRESENTATIVES FITZWATER (Sponsor), NANCE, REDMON, BLACK, NASHEED, LASATER AND TAYLOR (Co-sponsors).
0783L.01I D. ADAM CRUMBLISS, Chief Clerk
To amend chapter 168, RSMo, by adding thereto one new section relating to professional improvement plans for teachers and principals.
Be it enacted by the General Assembly of the state of Missouri, as follows:
Section A. Chapter 168, RSMo, is amended by adding thereto one new section, to be known as section 168.310, to read as follows:
168.310. 1. The department of elementary and secondary education shall develop standards for professional improvement plans for teachers and principals no later than June 30, 2012. The standards shall be applicable to all public schools including charter schools and shall be developed to promote the ongoing development of knowledge and skills of teachers and principals. In developing such standards, the department shall involve representatives who are Missouri certified teachers, administrators, and others.
2. The purpose of the professional improvement plan is to assist the teacher in obtaining a satisfactory level of performance on any criterion as identified in subdivision (1) of subsection 3 of this section.
3. The process for development and implementation of improvement plans shall include but not be limited to the following:
(1) Identification of the performance-based teacher evaluation standard that needs improvement. Evaluation standards shall include but not be limited to the following criteria:
(a) Students of the teacher demonstrate appropriate progress that results in increased achievement and elimination of achievement disparities;
(b) The teacher delivers the district curriculum utilizing effective instructional strategies;
(c) The teacher creates an effective learning environment that results in student engagement;
(d) The teacher demonstrates reflective and positive collaborative practices resulting in improved instructional practice and attainment of board of education goals;
(2) Selection of specific criteria that the teacher needs to improve. These criteria shall be taken from the locally developed performance-based teacher evaluation required under section 168.128;
(3) Clearly defined obtainable goals based on SMART principles:
(a) S -- specific, sustainable;
(b) M -- measurable, meaningful;
(c) A -- attainable, agreed upon;
(d) R -- results-oriented, realistic;
(e) T -- time-based, trackable;
(4) Clearly defined obtainable objectives and procedures for achieving the objectives. The procedures for obtaining objectives shall include but not be limited to:
(a) A plan to expand the teacher's knowledge base;
(b) A plan for implementation;
(c) An analysis of the plan's impact on the teacher's performance and student success;
(d) Target dates.
4. Examples of the types of data that may be helpful in analyzing the accomplishment of objectives as described under subdivision (4) of subsection 3 of this section may include but are not limited to the following:
(1) Student achievement;
(2) Student feedback;
(3) Student behavior;
(4) Parental feedback;
(5) Survey data;
(6) Classroom observations;
(7) Teacher professional practices;
(8) Teacher reflection;
(9) Other indicators of student success.