FIRST REGULAR SESSION
HOUSE BILL NO. 746
96TH GENERAL ASSEMBLY
INTRODUCED BY REPRESENTATIVES BROWN (85) (Sponsor), CONWAY (14), STREAM, WIELAND AND LONG (Co-sponsors).
1648L.02I D. ADAM CRUMBLISS, Chief Clerk
To amend chapter 143, RSMo, by adding thereto one new section relating to designation of tax refunds to the department of agriculture for puppy protection.
Be it enacted by the General Assembly of the state of Missouri, as follows:
Section A. Chapter 143, RSMo, is amended by adding thereto one new section, to be known as section 143.1014, to read as follows:
143.1014. 1. For all taxable years beginning on or after January 1, 2011, each individual or corporation entitled to a tax refund in an amount sufficient to make a designation under this section may designate that one dollar or any amount in excess of one dollar on a single return, and two dollars or any amount in excess of two dollars on a combined return, of the refund due be credited to the puppy protection trust fund. If any individual or corporation that is not entitled to a tax refund in an amount sufficient to make a designation under this section wishes to make a contribution to the fund, such individual or corporation may, by separate check, draft, or other negotiable instrument, send in with the payment of taxes, or may send in separately, that amount the individual or corporation wishes to contribute. Such amounts shall be clearly designated for the fund.
2. There is hereby created in the state treasury the "Puppy Protection Trust Fund", which shall consist of money collected under this section. The state treasurer shall be custodian of the fund. In accordance with sections 30.170 and 30.180, the state treasurer may approve disbursements. The fund shall be a dedicated fund and, upon appropriation, money in the fund shall be used solely for the state department of agriculture's administration of section 273.345. Notwithstanding the provisions of section 33.080 to the contrary, any moneys remaining in the fund at the end of the biennium shall not revert to the credit of the general revenue fund. The state treasurer shall invest moneys in the fund in the same manner as other funds are invested. Any interest and moneys earned on such investments shall be credited to the fund. All moneys credited to the trust fund shall be considered nonstate funds under section 15, article IV, Constitution of Missouri. The treasurer shall distribute all moneys deposited in the fund at times the treasurer deems appropriate to the department of agriculture.
3. The director of revenue shall deposit at least monthly all contributions designated by individuals under this section to the state treasurer for deposit to the fund. The director of revenue shall deposit at least monthly all contributions designated by the corporations under this section, less an amount sufficient to cover the costs of collection and handling by the department of revenue, to the state treasury for deposit to the fund. A contribution designated under this section shall only be deposited in the fund after all other claims against the refund from which such contribution is to be made have been satisfied.
4. Under section 23.253 of the Missouri sunset act:
(1) The provisions of the new program authorized under this section shall automatically sunset on December thirty-first six years after the effective date of this section unless reauthorized by an act of the general assembly; and
(2) If such program is reauthorized, the program authorized under this section shall automatically sunset on December thirty-first twelve years after the effective date of the reauthorization of this section; and
(3) This section shall terminate on September first of the calendar year immediately following the calendar year in which the program authorized under this section is sunset.