SECOND REGULAR SESSION
HOUSE BILL NO. 1380
96TH GENERAL ASSEMBLY
INTRODUCED BY REPRESENTATIVES BAHR (Sponsor), CONWAY (14), KOENIG, LEACH AND WELLS (Co-sponsors).
4243L.01I D. ADAM CRUMBLISS, Chief Clerk
To amend chapter 442, RSMo, by adding thereto one new section relating to restrictive covenants.
Be it enacted by the General Assembly of the state of Missouri, as follows:
Section A. Chapter 442, RSMo, is amended by adding thereto one new section, to be known as section 442.404, to read as follows:
442.404. 1. Except as otherwise provided by this section, a property owners' association shall not enforce or adopt a restrictive covenant that prohibits a property owner from displaying on the owner's property one or more signs advertising a political candidate or ballot item for an election:
(1) On or after the ninetieth day before the date of the election to which the sign relates; or
(2) Before the tenth day after that election date.
2. This section does not prohibit the enforcement or adoption of a covenant that:
(1) Requires a sign to be ground-mounted; or
(2) Limits a property owner to displaying only one sign for each candidate or ballot item.
3. This section does not prohibit the enforcement or adoption of a covenant that prohibits a sign that:
(1) Contains roofing material, siding, paving materials, flora, one or more balloons or lights, or any other similar building, landscaping, or nonstandard decorative component;
(2) Is attached in any way to plant material, a traffic control device, a light, a trailer, a vehicle, or any other existing structure or object;
(3) Includes the painting of architectural surfaces;
(4) Threatens the public health or safety;
(5) Is larger than four feet by six feet;
(6) Violates a law;
(7) Contains language, graphics, or any display that would be offensive to the ordinary person; or
(8) Is accompanied by music or other sounds or by streamers or is otherwise distracting to motorists.
4. A property owners' association may remove a sign displayed in violation of a restrictive covenant permitted by this section.