SECOND REGULAR SESSION
HOUSE BILL NO. 1466
96TH GENERAL ASSEMBLY
INTRODUCED BY REPRESENTATIVES NASHEED (Sponsor), JONES (63), OXFORD, CARTER, WEBB, HUMMEL AND SCHNEIDER (Co-sponsors).
4570L.02I D. ADAM CRUMBLISS, Chief Clerk
To amend chapter 160, RSMo, by adding thereto one new section relating to mathematics and science tutoring centers.
Be it enacted by the General Assembly of the state of Missouri, as follows:
Section A. Chapter 160, RSMo, is amended by adding thereto one new section, to be known as section 160.1995, to read as follows:
160.1995. 1. This section shall be known and may be cited as the "Math and Science Tutoring Act".
2. There is hereby established a pilot program for the establishment and support of nonprofit math and science tutoring centers serving any metropolitan district schools. The math and science tutoring center shall provide service primarily to schools at any grade level whose schoolwide average assessment scores are less than fifty percent proficient. The programs at the centers shall utilize master teachers who fulfill the criteria of being state certified and exhibit leadership, focused collaboration, distinguished teaching in both content area and the student as a whole person, and continued professional growth. Master teachers shall select and train volunteer tutors. The center shall provide services customized to complement the student's school math and science assignments during the school day and for extended hours on nights, weekends, and during the summer. The center shall provide transportation for the student's return trip after a tutoring session.
3. There is hereby created in the state treasury the "Mathematics and Science Tutoring Center Fund", which shall consist of three hundred thousand dollars appropriated by the general assembly to start up such center and any gifts, grants, bequests, and devises. The state treasurer shall be custodian of the fund and shall, along with the workforce development division and the department of economic development, approve disbursements from the fund in accordance with sections 30.170 and 30.180. Upon appropriation, money in the fund shall be used solely for the administration of this section. Notwithstanding the provisions of section 33.080, to the contrary, any moneys remaining in the fund at the end of the biennium shall not revert to the credit of the general revenue fund. The state treasurer shall invest moneys in the fund in the same manner as other funds are invested. Any interest and moneys earned on such investments shall be credited to the fund.
4. The workforce development division with the department of economic development shall develop an application process to certify approved math and science tutoring centers under this section for distribution of appropriated funds.
5. Beginning January 1, 2013, any business in the state engaged in an occupation categorized as a science, technology, engineering, or mathematics occupation may make a donation to a math and science tutoring center created under this section and retain half of the value of its donation from its withholding tax under sections 143.191 to 143.265. The department of revenue shall develop a form to accompany the tax return of any business that retains withholding taxes under this section.
6. Under section 23.253 of the Missouri Sunset Act:
(1) The provisions of the new program authorized under this section shall automatically sunset six years after the effective date of this section unless reauthorized by an act of the general assembly; and
(2) If such program is reauthorized, the program authorized under this section shall automatically sunset twelve years after the effective date of the reauthorization of this section; and
(3) This section shall terminate on September first of the calendar year immediately following the calendar year in which the program authorized under this section is sunset.