SECOND REGULAR SESSION
HOUSE BILL NO. 1587
96TH GENERAL ASSEMBLY
INTRODUCED BY REPRESENTATIVES WYATT (Sponsor), KELLY (24), FITZWATER, TILLEY, LASATER, BARNES, TORPEY, McGHEE, SHUMAKE, FUNDERBURK, MARSHALL, SCHIEBER, BROWN (85), REIBOLDT, WETER, WEBB, CARTER, NEWMAN, McMANUS, PIERSON, COLONA, WALTON GRAY, MEADOWS, SPRENG, SMITH (71), FALLERT, OXFORD, HUBBARD, NASHEED, STILL, HUMMEL, AULL, BROWN (50), JONES (63), WEBBER, PACE, SCHOELLER, TALBOY, CONWAY (14), NANCE, SIFTON, McCANN BEATTY, RIZZO, McDONALD, SHIVELY, TAYLOR, ZERR, SATER, HAEFNER, LAMPE, ELLINGTON, MORGAN, QUINN, PHILLIPS, FRANKLIN, ELLINGER, NICHOLS, BLACK, SWEARINGEN, SOMMER, McGEOGHEGAN AND KLIPPENSTEIN (Co-sponsors).
4665L.01I D. ADAM CRUMBLISS, Chief Clerk
To repeal sections 172.030, 172.035, 172.040, and 172.060, RSMo, and to enact in lieu thereof four new sections relating to the University of Missouri board of curators.
Be it enacted by the General Assembly of the state of Missouri, as follows:
Section A. Sections 172.030, 172.035, 172.040, and 172.060, RSMo, are repealed and four new sections enacted in lieu thereof, to be known as sections 172.030, 172.035, 172.040, and 172.060, to read as follows:
172.030. 1. The board of curators of the University of the state of Missouri shall hereafter consist of nine members, who shall be appointed by the governor, by and with the advice and consent of the senate; provided, that at least one but no more than two shall be appointed upon said board from each congressional district, and no person shall be appointed a curator who shall not be a citizen of the United States, and who shall not have been a resident of the state of Missouri two years next prior to his appointment. Not more than five curators shall belong to any one political party. Notwithstanding any provision of law to the contrary, nothing in this section relating to a change in the composition and configuration of congressional districts in this state shall prohibit a member who is serving a term on August 28, 2011, from completing his or her term.
2. Notwithstanding any other law, the ninth member of the board shall be a student curator who shall have the right to vote on any matter before the board, including the hiring or firing of the president of the University of Missouri system, the chancellors of each of the university campuses, the general counsel of the university, the secretary of the board of curators, and all other general officers of the university. However, the student curator shall be excluded from all other decisions regarding the hiring or firing of faculty or staff. The student curator may be from any congressional district, and his or her congressional district may be the same as one member of the board. The student curator shall be a resident of Missouri. The first student curator shall be appointed in January 2013 and shall be a graduate or professional student. The student curator shall serve a two-year term provided the person maintains the status of a full-time student. The student curator appointed under this subsection shall replace the nonvoting student representative appointed under section 172.035; however, such student curator shall be appointed in the manner prescribed in section 172.035, and he or she shall meet all other requirements of section 172.035.
172.035. 1. The governor shall, by and with the advice and consent of the senate, appoint a student representative to the board of curators of the University of Missouri, who shall attend all meetings and participate in all deliberations of the board. Such student representative shall not have the right to vote on any matter before the board, unless the student representative position on the board is converted to a student curator position, as provided under section 172.030.
2. Such student representative shall be a full-time student at the university as defined by the board, selected from a panel of three names submitted to the governor by the student government presidents of the campuses of the university, a citizen of the United States, and a resident of the state of Missouri. No person may be appointed who is not actually enrolled during the term of such person's appointment as a student at the University of Missouri.
3. The term of the student representative shall be two years, except that the person first appointed shall serve until January 1, 1986.
4. If a vacancy occurs for any reason in the position of student representative, the governor shall appoint a replacement who meets the qualifications set forth in subsection 2 of this section and who shall serve until the student representative's successor is appointed and qualified.
5. If the student representative ceases to be a student at the University of Missouri, or a resident of the state of Missouri, or fails to follow the board's attendance policy, the student representative's position shall at once become vacant, unless such absence is caused by sickness or some accident preventing such representative's arrival at the time and place appointed for the meeting.
6. The student representative shall receive the same reimbursement for expenses as other members of the board of curators receive pursuant to section 172.040.
7. Appointments made under this section shall be made in rotation from each of the four campuses of the University of Missouri, beginning with a student from the Columbia campus, next from the Rolla campus, next from the Kansas City campus, and then from the St. Louis campus. If, after August 28, 2012, the university adds another campus or campuses, then such campus or campuses shall be inserted into the aforementioned rotation following the St. Louis campus in the order in which such campus or campuses are admitted into the university.
8. Unless alternative arrangements for payment have been made and agreed to by the student and the university, the student representative shall have paid all student and tuition fees due prior to such appointment and shall pay all future student and tuition fees during the term of office when such fees are due.
172.040. Except as provided in subsection 2 of section 172.030 for student curators, the term of service of the curators shall be six years, the terms of three expiring every two years; the first expiration occurring on the first day of January, 1911, and succeeding expirations of three members every two years thereafter. Said curators, while attending the meetings of the board, shall receive their actual expenses, which shall be paid out of the ordinary revenues of the university.
172.060. Except as provided in subsection 2 of section 172.030 for student curators, all appointments to fill vacancies, except such as may be made to fill out unexpired terms, shall be for the term of six years, and until the successors of such appointees shall be appointed and qualified.