FIRST REGULAR SESSION
HOUSE BILL NO. 857
97TH GENERAL ASSEMBLY
INTRODUCED BY REPRESENTATIVES DAVIS (Sponsor), GRISAMORE, KELLY (45), LYNCH, FITZWATER, SOLON, CONWAY (104), GANNON, ANDERSON, ENTLICHER, LICHTENEGGER, HAEFNER, HOSKINS, FOWLER, FLANIGAN, HOUGH, ELMER AND WHITE (Co-sponsors).
2066H.02I D. ADAM CRUMBLISS, Chief Clerk
To amend chapter 41, RSMo, by adding thereto one new section relating to the Show Me Heroes Education Fund, with an emergency clause.
Be it enacted by the General Assembly of the state of Missouri, as follows:
Section A. Chapter 41, RSMo, is amended by adding thereto one new section, to be known as section 41.213, to read as follows:
41.213. 1. There is hereby created in the state treasury the “Show Me Heroes Education Fund”, which shall be administered by the Adjutant General. The state treasurer shall be custodian of the fund and may approve disbursements from the fund in accordance with sections 30.170 and 30.180. Upon appropriation, moneys in the fund shall be used solely to provide and manage tuition assistance to qualified military personnel. Notwithstanding the provisions of section 33.080 to the contrary, any moneys remaining in the fund at the end of the biennium shall not revert to the credit of the general revenue fund. The state treasurer shall invest moneys in the fund in the same manner as other funds are invested. Any interest and moneys earned on such investments shall be credited to the fund.
2. For the purposes of this section “qualified military personnel” shall mean an applicant who, at the time of his or her application and throughout any period during which he or she is receiving such assistance:
(1) Is a member of the Missouri National Guard and is certified by the appropriate commander as participating satisfactorily in required training;
(2) Is a citizen or a permanent resident of the United States;
(3) Has not previously received a bachelor’s degree from an accredited postsecondary institution;
(4) Is enrolled, or has been accepted for enrollment, as a full-time or part-time undergraduate student at an approved public institution. Any applicant with no postsecondary academic record is deemed to be eligible for educational assistance when the school he or she plans to attend enrolls or accepts him or her for enrollment;
(5) Maintains academic eligibility. Applicants must maintain a cumulative grade point average (GPA) of at least a two point five on a four-point scale, or the equivalent on another scale approved by the program administrator. Any otherwise qualified applicant with a postscondary cumulative GPA of less than two point five will be on probation from the beginning of the term in which the GPA dropped below the eligible standard;
(6) Has never been convicted in any court of an offense which involved the use of force, disruption or seizure of property under the control of any institution of higher education to prevent officials or students in such institutions from engaging in their duties or pursuing their studies;
(7) Has not enrolled in or does not intend to use the grant to enroll in a course of study leading to a degree in theology or divinity; and
(8) Has not received educational assistance under the Missouri National Guard Assistance Program which exceeds or will exceed financial assistance for more than ten semesters or their equivalent.
3. The fund shall automatically sunset one year after the effective date of this section.
Section B. Because immediate action is necessary to ensure military personnel do not experience a lapse in tuition assistance the enactment of section A of this act is deemed necessary for the immediate preservation of the public health, welfare, peace, and safety, and is hereby declared to be an emergency act within the meaning of the constitution, and the enactment of section A of this act shall be in full force and effect upon its passage and approval.