FIRST REGULAR SESSION
HOUSE BILL NO. 962
97TH GENERAL ASSEMBLY
INTRODUCED BY REPRESENTATIVES RICHARDSON (Sponsor), JONES (50), HAMPTON, ROSS, COOKSON AND BARNES (Co-sponsors).
2195H.01I D. ADAM CRUMBLISS, Chief Clerk
To repeal sections 265.300 and 277.020, RSMo, and to enact in lieu thereof two new sections relating to the definition of livestock.
Be it enacted by the General Assembly of the state of Missouri, as follows:
Section A. Sections 265.300 and 277.020, RSMo, are repealed and two new sections enacted in lieu thereof, to be known as sections 265.300 and 277.020, to read as follows:
265.300. The following terms as used in sections 265.300 to 265.470, unless the context otherwise indicates, mean:
(1) "Adulterated", any meat or meat product under one or more of the circumstances listed in Title XXI, Chapter 12, Section 601 of the United States Code as now constituted or hereafter amended;
(2) "Capable of use as human food", any carcass, or part or product of a carcass, of any animal unless it is denatured or otherwise identified, as required by regulation prescribed by the director, to deter its use as human food, or is naturally inedible by humans;
(3) "Cold storage warehouse", any place for storing meat or meat products which contains at any one time over two thousand five hundred pounds of meat or meat products belonging to any one private owner other than the owner or operator of the warehouse;
(4) "Commercial plant", any establishment in which livestock or poultry are slaughtered for transportation or sale as articles of commerce intended for or capable of use for human consumption, or in which meat or meat products are prepared for transportation or sale as articles of commerce, intended for or capable of use for human consumption;
(5) "Director", the director of the department of agriculture of this state, or his authorized representative;
(6) "Livestock", cattle, calves, sheep, swine, ratite birds including but not limited to ostrich and emu, aquatic products as defined in section 277.024, llamas, alpaca, buffalo, elk and cervids documented as obtained from a legal source and not from the wild and raised in confinement for human consumption or animal husbandry, goats, or horses, other equines, or rabbits raised in confinement for human consumption;
(7) "Meat", any edible portion of livestock or poultry carcass or part thereof;
(8) "Meat product", anything containing meat intended for or capable of use for human consumption, which is derived, in whole or in part, from livestock or poultry;
(9) "Misbranded", any meat or meat product under one or more of the circumstances listed in Title XXI, Chapter 12, Section 601 of the United States Code as now constituted or hereafter amended;
(10) "Official inspection mark", the symbol prescribed by the director stating that an article was inspected and passed or condemned;
(11) "Poultry", any domesticated bird intended for human consumption;
(12) "Prepared", slaughtered, canned, salted, rendered, boned, cut up, or otherwise manufactured or processed;
(a) Processed, prepared, packed or held under unsanitary conditions;
(b) Produced in whole or in part from livestock or poultry which has died other than by slaughter.
277.020. The following terms as used in this chapter mean:
(1) "Livestock", cattle, swine, sheep, ratite birds including but not limited to ostrich and emu, aquatic products as defined in section 277.024, llamas, alpaca, buffalo, elk and cervids documented as obtained from a legal source and not from the wild and raised in confinement for human consumption or animal husbandry, goats and poultry, equine and exotic animals;
(2) "Livestock market", a place of business or place where livestock is concentrated for the purpose of sale, exchange or trade made at regular or irregular intervals, whether at auction or not, except this definition shall not apply to any public farm sale or purebred livestock sale, or to any sale, transfer, or exchange of livestock from one person to another person for movement or transfer to other farm premises or directly to a licensed market;
(3) "Livestock sale", the business of mediating, for a commission, or otherwise, sale, purchase, or exchange transactions in livestock, whether or not at a livestock market; except the term "livestock sale" shall not apply to order buyers, livestock dealers or other persons acting directly as a buying agent for any third party;
(4) "Person", individuals, partnerships, corporations and associations;
(5) "State veterinarian", the state veterinarian of the Missouri state department of agriculture.