SECOND REGULAR SESSION
HOUSE BILL NO. 1582
97TH GENERAL ASSEMBLY
INTRODUCED BY REPRESENTATIVES KELLEY (127) (Sponsor), REMOLE AND BERRY (Co-sponsors).
5276L.02I D. ADAM CRUMBLISS, Chief Clerk
To amend chapter 190, RSMo, by adding thereto one new section relating to the first informer broadcasters act.
Be it enacted by the General Assembly of the state of Missouri, as follows:
Section A. Chapter 190, RSMo, is amended by adding thereto one new section, to be known as section 190.275, to read as follows:
190.275. 1. This section shall be known and may be cited as the "First Informer Broadcasters Act".
2. As used in this section, the following terms shall mean:
(1) "Broadcaster", a radio broadcasting station or television broadcasting station licensed by the Federal Communications Commission and subject to participation in the Emergency Alert System (EAS), and is primarily engaged in and deriving income from the business of facilitating speech via over-the-air-communications, both as pure speech and commercial speech;
(2) "Informer", a person who has been certified as a first informer broadcaster under this section.
3. Broadcasters in this state may, in cooperation with the Missouri state emergency management agency, the Missouri Police Chiefs Association, the Missouri Sheriffs' Association, and the Missouri Broadcasters Association or its successor organization, develop comprehensive coordinated plans for preparing for and responding appropriately to an emergency or disaster.
4. Any statewide organization or any member of a statewide organization that represents broadcasters or any other provider that uses emerging technologies may establish a program for training and certifying broadcast engineers, technical personnel, and news gathering personnel as first informer broadcasters. Upon completion of the program, broadcasters shall receive statewide recognized credentials to certify that such broadcasters are first informers. Each program established under this section shall provide training and education concerning:
(1) Restoring, repairing, and resupplying any facilities and equipment of a broadcaster in an area affected by an emergency or disaster;
(2) Coordinating between news gathering personnel and state and local governmental agencies with respect to gathering and dissemination of news and public safety information, warnings, and directions; and
(3) The personal safety of a first informer broadcaster in an area affected by an emergency or disaster.
5. To the extent practicable and consistent with not endangering public safety or inhibiting recovery efforts, state and local governmental agencies shall allow first informer broadcaster access to areas affected by an emergency or disaster for the purposes of:
(1) Restoring, repairing, or resupplying any facility or equipment critical to the ability of a broadcaster to acquire, produce, and transmit essential emergency or disaster-related public information programming, including without limitation repairing and maintaining transmitters and generators, and transporting fuel for generators;
(2) Obtaining news, information, photographs, and public safety information, warnings, and directions.