SECOND REGULAR SESSION
HOUSE BILL NO. 1762
97TH GENERAL ASSEMBLY
INTRODUCED BY REPRESENTATIVES WALTON GRAY (Sponsor), SMITH, GARDNER AND MCCANN BEATTY (Co-sponsors).
4650L.01I D. ADAM CRUMBLISS, Chief Clerk
To amend chapter 170, RSMo, by adding thereto one new section relating to dating violence education in secondary schools.
Be it enacted by the General Assembly of the state of Missouri, as follows:
Section A. Chapter 170, RSMo, is amended by adding thereto one new section, to be known as section 170.268, to read as follows:
170.268. 1. A school district or charter school that provides instruction in grades seven through twelve may incorporate dating abuse information that is age-appropriate into the school district's existing health curriculum for pupils in grades seven through twelve that includes the following components:
(1) The definition of dating abuse;
(2) The recognition of dating abuse warning signs; and
(3) The characteristics of healthy relationships.
A school district or charter school electing to incorporate dating violence education into its curriculum shall seek input from local domestic violation organizations on curriculum to be taught.
2. On written request to the principal of the school where a child is enrolled, the parents or guardian of a pupil who is under eighteen years of age shall be permitted to review the dating abuse information instructional materials within a reasonable time after submitting the written request.
3. For purposes of this section, "dating abuse" means a pattern of behavior in which one person uses or threatens to use physical, sexual, verbal, or emotional abuse to control the person's dating partner. "Dating partner" means any person who is involved in an intimate association with another person that is primarily characterized by the expectation of affectionate involvement that includes casual, serious, and long-term dating partners.