SECOND REGULAR SESSION
92ND GENERAL ASSEMBLY
STEPHEN S. DAVIS, Chief Clerk
To amend chapter 386, RSMo, by adding thereto three new sections relating to renewable energy resources.
Be it enacted by the General Assembly of the state of Missouri, as follows:
Section A. Chapter 386, RSMo, is amended by adding thereto three new sections, to be known as sections 386.825, 386.828, and 386.831, to read as follows:
386.825. For purposes of sections 386.825 to 386.831, the following terms shall mean:
(1) "Department", the department of natural resources;
(2) "Renewable energy sources", energy from wind, solar, or thermal sources, photovoltaic cells and panels, dedicated crops grown for energy production, organic waste biomass used for electricity production, low-head hydropower, and other alternative sources of environmentally preferable energy, as defined in rule by the department.
386.828. 1. All suppliers of electrical energy shall disclose standard and useful information regarding the generation attributes of electricity sold by the supplier to any person upon request and with bills to its customers on a quarterly basis.
2. For electrical corporations, information as specified in this section shall be presented in a uniform label in an easily understood format according to rules developed by the commission and shall be presented to the commission for inclusion on its Internet homepage. The label shall contain, but not be limited to, the following information:
(1) The sources of energy supplied, specified by percentages, of biomass power, coal-fired power, hydropower, natural gas-fired power, nuclear power, oil-fired power, solar power, wind power, and other resources in such format as the commission shall require;
(2) A standardized chart in a format determined by the commission that provides the amounts of carbon dioxide, nitrous oxides, sulfur dioxide emissions, and nuclear waste attributable to the known sources of electricity supplied as set forth in subdivision (1) of this subsection; and
(3) Any other information as the commission may determine that permits and facilitates customer understanding of the environmental consequences of electrical generation and use.
3. Within one year from the effective date of sections 386.825 to 386.831, rules necessary to implement this section shall be submitted to the secretary of state.
386.831. 1. The department shall prescribe by rule a requirement for suppliers of electrical energy to generate or purchase electricity generated from renewable energy resources, and requirements for implementation and compliance. The rules shall include a portfolio requirement providing for renewable energy sources of no less than one quarter of one percent of retail sales for each utility after 2004, no less than one and one-half percent after 2007, no less than three percent after 2010, and no less than six percent in each year 2015 through 2025, which shall apply to all suppliers of electrical energy to consumers in this state. The rule shall apply to all power sold to Missouri users whether self-generated or purchased from another source in or outside this state.
2. The department shall, in consultation with the commission, establish by rule or other administrative means a certification process for power generated from renewable resources. To the extent feasible, the certification process shall be consistent with operation practices of the regional transmission organizations active in the midwestern United States. The certification process shall ascertain whether a supplier of electrical energy meets the renewable requirement through self-generation or the purchase of renewable energy from other sources outside this state.
3. Certification criteria for renewable energy generation shall be determined by factors that include fuel type, technology, and the environmental impacts of the facility. Renewable energy facilities shall not result in undue adverse air, water, or land use impacts, including impacts associated with the gathering of generation feedstocks.