Pre-filed December 27, 1996 and 1000 copies ordered printed.
ANNE C. WALKER, Chief Clerk
Relating to special motor vehicle license plates, with an emergency clause for certain sections.
Be it enacted by the General Assembly of the state of Missouri, as follows:
Section 1. Beginning July 1, 1999, the director of the department of revenue shall have authority to issue specialized license plates containing an emblem or other symbol of identification of a public or private entity, organization or society pursuant to the guidelines developed by the committee established in section 2 of this act.
Section 2. 1. There is established in this section an advisory committee for the department of revenue, which shall exist solely to develop guidelines for the issuance of motor vehicle specialized license plates issued pursuant to chapter 301, RSMo. The advisory committee shall adopt guidelines to be used by the director of revenue regarding, but not limited to, the following:
(1) The types of public or private entities, organizations or societies which shall be allowed to have their emblem or other symbol on a license plate;
(2) The type of design allowable for, and the general specifications of, an emblem or other symbol on a license plate. The allowable design and specifications of any emblem or symbol shall not unduly conflict with the overall uniformity of the design or color of, or the materials used in, standard license plates;
(3) Recommendations as to the number of specialized license plates that should be requested before such plates are issued;
(4) Recommendations as to the total number of license plates that should be issued containing any specific emblem or other symbol of a public or private entity, organization or society; and
(5) The calculations that shall be used to determine the contribution or fee, if any, to be paid by the motor vehicle owner to any public or private entity, organization or society for the use of the emblem or other symbol. Any such contribution or fee shall be in addition to the special license plate fee which shall be paid pursuant to section 301.144, RSMo.
2. The advisory committee shall consist of the following:
(1) The director of the department of revenue or the director's designee;
(2) The director of the department of public safety or the director's designee;
(3) The director of the department of corrections or the director's designee;
(4) One person appointed by the governor;
(5) One state senator appointed by the president pro tem of the senate; and
(6) One state representative appointed by the speaker of the house of representatives.
3. Prior to July 1, 1999, the committee shall meet, select a chairman from among their members, and develop guidelines pursuant to sections 1 and 2 of this act. Prior to determining the guidelines, the committee shall hold at least three public meetings in different areas of the state to invite public input on the final design. Members of the committee shall be reimbursed for their actual and necessary expenses incurred in the performance of their duties under this section out of funds appropriated for that purpose. The committee may utilize the services of the employees and staff of the department of revenue subject to the approval of the director of the department of revenue. The committee shall direct the director of revenue to implement its guidelines for all specialized license plates not later than July 1, 1999. The committee shall be dissolved upon completion of its duties under this section which shall be a date no later than July 1, 1999.
Section A. Because immediate action is necessary in order to maintain consistency in the lawful operation of motor vehicles, sections 1 and 2 of this act are deemed necessary for the immediate preservation of the public health, welfare, peace and safety, and this act is hereby declared to be an emergency act within the meaning of the constitution, and sections 1 and 2 of this act shall be in full force and effect upon their passage and approval.