INTRODUCED BY REPRESENTATIVE BROACH.
Read 1st time January 15, 1998 and 1000 copies ordered printed.
ANNE C. WALKER, Chief Clerk
To repeal section 644.031, RSMo Supp. 1997, relating to storm water control, and to enact in
lieu thereof one new section relating to the same subject.
Be it enacted by the General Assembly of the state of Missouri, as follows:
Section A. Section 644.031, RSMo Supp. 1997, is repealed and one new section enacted in lieu thereof, to be known as section 644.031, to read as follows:
644.031. 1. The general assembly may appropriate funds to the clean water commission of the department of natural resources for the control of storm water in any county of the first classification or in any city with a population between three hundred thousand and four hundred fifty thousand, or any city not within a county. The commission shall administer and expend such funds in accordance with the terms of the appropriation.
2. The commission shall administer and expend such funds in the following manner:
(1) The funds shall be distributed based on the percentage of the population of a county or city that is eligible pursuant to this section in relation to the combined population of all counties and cities that are eligible for such funds pursuant to this section, according to the most recent federal decennial census. Participating counties or cities must have a comprehensive storm water control plan or study approved by the Missouri clean water commission prior to being eligible [or have matching moneys for such a study or plan, as required by subsection 3 of this section], however, a comprehensive storm water control plan or study prepared by any city or other political subdivision within a participating county may be accepted by the clean water commission in lieu of a county plan or study;
(2) The commission shall obligate all funds appropriated under this section to qualifying political subdivisions for storm water projects or for a comprehensive storm water control plan or study approved by the Missouri clean water commission prior to the end of the fiscal year of the appropriation or reappropriation. The political subdivisions receiving assistance under this section shall award all significant construction contracts for their projects within eighteen months of the appropriation or reappropriation[. Where the moneys are to be used for a study or plan, all such moneys for the study shall be expended within two years of the appropriation];
(3) Any funds remaining unobligated at the end of the fiscal year together with any funds obligated for construction contracts which were not awarded within eighteen months of the appropriation or reappropriation [and funds which were to be used to fund a study or plan that were not expended within two years of the appropriation] shall be returned to the commission and redistributed in accordance with this section.
3. Funds authorized by the general assembly for storm water control to an eligible county or city
may be expended for no more than [eighty percent] one-third of the costs of any one storm water